the mini-games!

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.

the mini-games!

Post by 0322 »

how do you feel about the mini games/side quests throughout the games? which ones are your least to most favorites?

I don't remember all of them now, I have been playing the games from time to time since I was eleven and I'm 24 now so bare with me.
here are some of them that I can recall:

x the cook-off mini game from Suikoden II (LOVED this!)
x keeping animals and managing a garden, looking around different towns for stray animals (also Sukoden II)
x most dice/card games can be fun, for a little while at least
x the lotteries have been OK, not so much for entertainment value but still a good way to earn money.
x the confession booth in Suikoden IV was fun for about 1 minute
x making mint/mushrooms and your own gear etc in Suikoden IV (a little boring)
x the fishing games
x the horse riding game from Suikoden III (boring, you just do it for the prizes)
x "rock climbing" game from Suikoden II
x whack-a-mole from Suikoden II

I'm sure I've forgotten a lot of them though.

but hands down, the absolute BEST one has been the cook-off game! collecting recipes and ingredients, creating a menu etc. I guess I'm a little nerdy in that sence but I really found it to be so much fun and I hope they will do something similiar in any upcoming games.

what do you think?
Last edited by 0322 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:12 am, edited 6 times in total.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Re: the mini-games!

Post by gilgamesh31 »

Well i would have to say the rope game(suikoden 2) is the most fun though i really liked Rittapon (4) the fishing (5) and the dice games (1&2) its better in 1though thanks to being able to abuse gaspars never ending pockets
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.

Post by 0322 »

gilgamesh31 wrote:Well i would have to say the rope game(suikoden 2) is the most fun though i really liked Rittapon (4) the fishing (5) and the dice games (1&2) its better in 1though thanks to being able to abuse gaspars never ending pockets
rittapon? which game was that?
didn't you like the whole cooking/recipe thing from Suikoden II?
I liked that one in particular because there was so much to it, collecting recipes, getting ingredients from trading, raising livestock and finding seeds in various places. and different characters commentary on the dishes in the cook-off was really funny (apparently it doesn't take much to entertain me, haha)
I really hope to see something similiar in any upcoming game (if they manage to get on with it already!)
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Nice interesting list, from a fellow Swede even. I think i liked the cook-offs in Suikoden II the most, the other mini-games didn't appeal that much to me, i liked Gaspar in Suikoden I only for the easy money it gave.
UberPendragon

Post by UberPendragon »

The cooking game was definitely the most in-depth. You not only had the contests with the SoD each having their own likes and dislikes, collecting the recipes, even fishing and getting the veggies and animals is really part of the cooking game. Definitely the most in depth. And all the food you made with all the ingredients you picked up at trade posts was actual medicine with real effects and it totally dwarfed the medicines you got in game.
I also liked the rope game in 2 but mostly for the prizes.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

gilgamesh31 wrote:rittapon? which game was that?
didn't you like the whole cooking/recipe thing from Suikoden II?
I liked that one in particular because there was so much to it, collecting recipes, getting ingredients from trading, raising livestock and finding seeds in various places. and different characters commentary on the dishes in the cook-off was really funny (apparently it doesn't take much to entertain me, haha)
I really hope to see something similiar in any upcoming game (if they manage to get on with it already!)
Rittapon is that tile game that you have to beat to recruit Rita in Suikoden 4, Where you have to collect sets of three. I remember hating it the first time because i didnt get it, but every other time ive played through 4 i spend alot of time playing it. its really fun once you figure it out.

I did enjoy the cookoff but i saw it more as a side story and i love searching for the old books, animals, seeds etc but i dont really view them as a mini game. Now Whack a Mole thats a mini game shame mole armor sucks.
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

The Suikoden series seem to have a good history of making overall good mini-games ranging from awesome to mediocre.
The cook-offs, chinchirorin and whack-a-mole would have to be my favorites.
The only game I remember not liking, Georges memory-game in SI perhaps?

A few other ones that havn't been mentioned would be the dance-offs with Karen and Marco's cup-game.
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

Drama from Suiko 3 is my favourite Suikoden series minigame.

One mini game that I hope Konami will make in Suiko 6 is the ability to play war battle anytime you want it (with acces to a character - vice strategist maybe) dubbed as war training. But again, there is high probabillity that Konami wont make Suiko 6, so much for war battle minigame.
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

I think I just got the most genious idea ever!
How about a Risk-game with the Suikoden world-map as the playfield?

Silverberg

Post by Silverberg »

actually kind of interesting. Elaborate a little please. I'm curious to hear your idea
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

Well, I guess it would basically be played like a any other game of risk, or like Civilization if you will. You'll get to command lil' miniature versions of the generals. You strenghten them by building stuff like uh, let's say you build Green Leaf Academy in Greenhill, that will get you more intelligence or potch. If you upgrade Rockaxe castle you upgrade your Matilda knights et.c. I haven't played too many of these kind of games myself so I'm just spewing random ideas now.
The story of course wouldn't have to be totally in canon, just some mindless fun. And in order to win you need to take over the world of course, or gather all the 27 True runes maybe. :mrgreen:

This idea would of course depend on whether or not Konami ever get to flesh out all the countries and their regions. :(
Or heck, if you don't wanna wait for Konami to make it, if you're really ambitious and gather enough suiko-lovers to play with you then you could just print out the world-map and make up your own rules and fill in the blank territories yourself.

Silverberg

Post by Silverberg »

That's actually kind of a cool idea, especially if like you said, they flesh out more of the geography. I mean, there's already a lot of known countries out there. Maybe enough for a small game of Suikoden Risk. But then it's a mini game not a macro game.

7 extra men at the start of each turn if you can hold onto the Island Nations!

I don't know what legal issues you would come up with by creating your own Suikoden Risk board game. Probably none as long as you don't post anything here and just play with your friends. I suppose you could print out character images and put them on little pog like tabs. I dunno, but sounds like a fun concept.
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

There's no reason why you shouldn't post anything like that on here. There is a fan work section. As long as you're not making money off it and aren't getting in Konami's way you're okay.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

veriaqa wrote:One mini game that I hope Konami will make in Suiko 6 is the ability to play war battle anytime you want it (with acces to a character - vice strategist maybe) dubbed as war training. But again, there is high probabillity that Konami wont make Suiko 6, so much for war battle minigame.
You can do it in Suikoden IV when you talk to Elenor. The battles are iirc actually a lot harder than the normal battles you face, but you get no reward for it, so I stopped doing them.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

Yeah, reward for those would've been nice, since you really didn't need to do it for the training.

Loved the cooking game, chinchirorin, plays, climbing and ritapon.

Something that wasn't actually a mini game but was cool was walking around Budehuc as the dog. More stuff like that should be put into future installments.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE