Any peticular reason why Leknaat did not show herself in S3?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
SuiDOKEN

Any peticular reason why Leknaat did not show herself in S3?

Post by SuiDOKEN »

Leknaat always appeared in front of the liberation armies(or in Lazlo's case, only appeared in front of the hero), but why did she coose not to reveal herself in Suikoden 3(except for the very end)?

My first thought when I had first completed the game, was that the reason for her absence was because she knew that not all SoD's were on the same side?

Perhaps she did not know who to refer to as the leader of the army against Luc? It was a choice between Hugo, Chris and Geddoe. She had always appeared to the leader of the liberation army first.

Maybe she did not feel that the SoD's(that were not sided with Luc) did not need divine enlightment/intervention to prevent catastrophe.

Perhaps she just got tired after S2. lol

After reading a memorable scene from Suikoden 1, maybe she just didn't care at all. She was in no danger at all. In Suikoden 1, at the near end of the game when she brings Gremio back to life, she mentioned that she had been waiting for someone like Tir to quell Windy's wrath, because Windy had been trying to kill Leknaat for her "Back" Gate Rune.

I can see that she had appeared in front of the Tenkai SoD only to prevent her from being murdered by Windy. If she had not appeared in front of Lazlo, he may not have been so inclined to recruit many people(he seemed too shy/anti-social to do so in the first place), which in turn he may not have ever met Ted and freed the Soul Eater for it to be later passed on to Tir and the fall of Windy would have never happened. If she had not appeared to Prince of Falena(I don't want to give out a false name), perhaps Windy would have gained more power by having Barbarossa gaining allies from certain factions in Falena(probably Barrows) and possibly in Armes?

I know that last idea was like WAY out there, heh, just leaving my imagination run wild. :P

Anyone have thoughts or facts as to why Leknaat did not reveal herself at any time during the war between Grassland/Zexen/Harmonia/Luc?
EternalOnslaught

Re: Any peticular reason why Leknaat did not show herself in S3?

Post by EternalOnslaught »

I personally think that she didn't want to go against her student, that she would rather watched from the sidelines and see how things unfolded. Technically, she did appear in Suikoden III if you get the good ending, just not to the Tenkai Star.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Eden

Post by Eden »

I agree. I always thought she didn't want to have a part in it, because they fought against Luc, her pupil. I think I never saw the good ending, hence I have to guess. I also thought that she talked to the Tenkais, because they would have fled and not fought, perhaps, without her intervention, aside from Thomas during the event in Suikoden III. Well, at least that was what I thought for quite some time :-)
The Fool
conan

Post by conan »

i personally thought that she knew luc had only a small chance of success, and im still not sure that luc would have even went thru wit the plan. plus albert wasnt gonna let the whole thing go down from th beginning
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I guess she couldn't bare pitting the SoD against her Luc.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
EternalOnslaught

conan wrote:i personally thought that she knew luc had only a small chance of success, and im still not sure that luc would have even went thru wit the plan. plus albert wasnt gonna let the whole thing go down from th beginning
Luc was pretty determined to destroy his true wind rune. Once the plan was put into action, I do not think he would had just give up, because he couldn't go through it. Albert didn't care what happened, he got a lucrative deal from an unnamed country. He wouldn't be there to see the fireworks anyways, whether Luc succeeded or not.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

It also could be that the 108 are not all together in one place as they had been in previous games. They were split as some enemies were SoDs too.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Chris_Lightfellow wrote:It also could be that the 108 are not all together in one place as they had been in previous games. They were split as some enemies were SoDs too.
True.

The four main enemies were SoD.

. . .which I hated. I felt cheated out of 5 people. (since that chick [insert spoiler here] before even joining your army. And they STILL put her in your SoD)

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
EternalOnslaught

It was a pretty big game, they probably had some limitations on how many characters and additional story-lines that they could put into the game.
groovycow

Post by groovycow »

I personally liked the idea of having the major enemies SoD. From my understanding the SoD are meant to shape the destiny of the world and Luc, Sarah, Yuber, and Albert played a huge role in that aspect of S3. Just my thoughts on the matter.
"Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed" - Joseph Stalin
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Problem still remains that it breaks the foundation of the series.

In every other game it's clearly established that the Stars of Destiny have to actively decide to join at some point and more importantly to have an effect they have to be alive.

Boom. Along comes Suikoden III, kills off two Stars before they even joined and throws in four that wouldn't even consider joining if their lives depended on it.

If there had been some sort of cop-out where they banded together against a common enemy it might have worked, but the idea of the Stars fighting each other just doesn't jive.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

Maybe that's why they've gone back in time for the rest of the installments. Maybe they've decided the Suikoden 3 represents a paradigm shift that changes the world and sets it towards its completion. Ya know: it was always the 108 working together in a political struggle and then the 2nd Fire Bringer war totally changes history.

I don't know...probably not, but you never know.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

From a purely fanfare standpoint, Konami might have chosen a cop-out mitigation to a potential fan outbreak against whoever would succeed Luc's spot on the Stone Tablet? Which may or may not explains why IV's timeframe was purposely chosen to make way for Ted to fill the hot seat.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

patapi wrote:From a purely fanfare standpoint, Konami might have chosen a cop-out mitigation to a potential fan outbreak against whoever would succeed Luc's spot on the Stone Tablet? Which may or may not explains why IV's timeframe was purposely chosen to make way for Ted to fill the hot seat.
Because there was such an outrage over Zerase in V..?
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Problem still remains that it breaks the foundation of the series.
I dont think S3 is the best game in the series, but breaking the foundations of the series was a good step in the right direction. There's no problem. To me they could even drop the hole "gather 108-stars-to-change-fate" idea.

Breaking paradigms and changing ideas is the base of being creative. And being creative is one of the key of having a good game. How are you going to be creative if you have to redo water margin over and over? That's why SI-II and IV-V are so similar. If they had continued being inovative after SIII, we would not have the problems Suikoden is having now. Because they got stuck with the Suikoden formula that newer games did not bring any new fans to the series.

Anyways, I think the 108 stars were not meant to defeat each other, but to fight against the complete order future. This especially seems the case if we look at Luc's bonus ending. I dont remember the exact words, but Leeknaat said to Luc in the end something like: "your efforts were meanful", meaning he could not destroy his rune, but the reforms he caused (appearance of a new flame champion) will have a impact in saving the future.