Le Buque and Harmonian Politics?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
snakebite105

Le Buque and Harmonian Politics?

Post by snakebite105 »

In Geddoe's chapter 2 when you enter Le Buque the mantor village they are offered second-class citizenship if they succeed in attacking the Grasslands.

With Second-Class citizenship they would get

Less Taxes
Free Travel
Permission to trade
Better overall treatment

the thing that i'm wondering about is the Permission to trade.

There is a trading post in Le Buque. What went wrong? programming oversight or and i missing something.

Also there is someone from the duck clan in the inn who also came to trade.
I'm a fan but I'm also a critic. Without preasure to improve stagnation is the future. Do not accept lackluster because of your enjoyment of the overall picture. Criticism is needed for improvement to be made.
Blutiger Engel

Re: Le Buque and Harmonian Politics?

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Hmm, that most likely seems to be an oversight. I never noticed that before!

It's possible that the trading post is for the Harmonians that are there and the people of Le-Buque can't use it, though, but since it's there for the player, there really isn't any proof of that.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

What's the exact in-game line? Might have been another translation oversight, for all we know.

Or, perhaps there is a restriction imposed involving trading with mainland Harmonia?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

That would mean they'd be allowed to actively engage in trade, as opposed to only do business with traders who visit Lu Buque.
With the right to trade, they'd be able to travel and trade with whomever they wish. I'd imagine very few people would go through the trouble to go all the way to Lu Buque to trade with them.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

So basicaly when Ace was giving the whole run down on the Harmonian Heiacrhy the citizens of Le Buque would be considered the same as the Frontier Defense Force? From my understanding about the whole becoming 2nd Class Citizens is that everything above is true but when it came to trading, although they had a trade stand it might only be meant for visitors I doubt they can leave Le Buque to make better trades. Also, I think if Harmonia did have a "loose leash" on the Le Buque the only place I could even imagine they'd be allowed to trade is maybe with Caleria since that too is another Harmonia Base/Colony.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

The border guards are sort of outside the Harmonian Class system, in that most all of their members are foreigners or classless people. For example, kobolds (and all other non-humans) are considered below the class system and treated like livestock in Harmonia, but Gau is considered a member of the border guards.
The exception would be the leader of the border guards, who tend to be 1st class Harmonians.
snakebite105

Post by snakebite105 »

patapi wrote:What's the exact in-game line? Might have been another translation oversight, for all we know.

Or, perhaps there is a restriction imposed involving trading with mainland Harmonia?
The exact line is in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igsYhzDJ ... re=related

at 4:31.

It says Permission to trade as in they never were allowed to trade at all.
I'm a fan but I'm also a critic. Without preasure to improve stagnation is the future. Do not accept lackluster because of your enjoyment of the overall picture. Criticism is needed for improvement to be made.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

I always figured that even if they succeeded in the attack against the Grasslands that they wouldn't had achieve Second Class Citizenship. Wasn't that one of Luc's manipulations in the process? I could had sworn it was mentioned in the game or something, Luc was just using the village and really had no desire to grant them their second class citizenship if they succeeded. I could be wrong, but I thought it was mentioned somewhere.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
snakebite105

Post by snakebite105 »

Well in that same regard Luc was using any and everyone he could to reach his goals.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

EternalOnslaught wrote:Luc was just using the village and really had no desire to grant them their second class citizenship if they succeeded.
You think Luc was telling them a lie? What tipped you off? The fact that his master plan involved wiping the entire area out when he destroyed the True Wind Rune?

You don't need to keep promises when both you and the promised ones are dead.

Either way moot point, the topic wasn't even about wheter they would actually get their 2nd class status, it was about their trading permits and as already explained Le Buque residents are allowed to trade in Le Buque but not to peddle their goods elsewhere.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
snakebite105

Post by snakebite105 »

I doubt its a translation error as much as it was the japenese developers just didn't care.

I'm in the all female clan village now and theres shops.

Shops in a town that no one ever visits? Shops in a town that people only accidently find.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

So exactly where do you expect people that never leave their village to shop?

Shops are made for the town they are in, they don't hinge on the appearance of outsiders.

There's no Suikoden equalaint to IKEA that people migrate to, and it certainly isn't in Alma Kinan.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
snakebite105

Post by snakebite105 »

Ya but theres obviously no monetary system with that town.

They're a secluded town in the woods.

The rune shop wont make money because they arn't at war, The only weapons that are made are all for hunting as said by an NPC, The Inn is said by another NPC to be completly unused the majority of the time.

the skill teachers really don't matter because you don't pay for them.

The item shop would be the only place that could make money but why bother with money when at that point you could probably just barder since they're secluded and only deal with each other.

Also if they never go outside of the town how do they get said items in the first place.

The town has no need for these shops they're only there for gameplay.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Hm right, but I guess you can't discuss every gameplay matter. For example, I always wondered why you have to buy equipment/items/weapon upgrades at your headquarters, shouldn't they be for free for, well, their leader? How corrupt and money-seeking can one be?^^
snakebite105

Post by snakebite105 »

Well in respect to that every single suikoden game except for maybe 4 they're leasing the land to those shops its just not specificly stated anywhere but s3.

Look at S2 for example that may have been their base but that became a town aswell especially after the war.

Its harder to explain in the context of S1 and S5 because those towers to my understanding became unused after the wars that used them but each shop character clearly joins in the hopes of opening a shop not joining the army. Though they almost certinly wish to support the army aswell.