Which war had most casulties?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Belcoot4

Which war had most casulties?

Post by Belcoot4 »

Which war had most casulties? I'm asking this in a general sense not how many of the 108 stars died during a playthrough. I'm stuck in between SIV and SII. I say SIV probaly had a large death toll beacause people died by the boat load. Also Cray totaly wiped out an entire island of people leaving behind about 2 or 3 recruitable characters and thats it. SII definitly stood out to me beacause Luca Blight might be the only main villain whos' only motivation is death and destruction. Muse must of been one of the largest, if not the largest, place in the City-State and he sacrificed the almost the whole city in one sitting. Thats not to mention how many people he wiped out in the smaller villages like Toto or at Viktor's fort.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
Antimatzist

Re: Which war had most casulties?

Post by Antimatzist »

Yeah, i guess Suikoden II... Muse is one of the biggest countries of the Suikoden-World and it was nearly completely annihilated. Plus the small villages.

Sui IV.. well, the Islands didn't seem to be too populated, so I don't think a lot of people died there.
R_C_Cola2001

Post by R_C_Cola2001 »

I would have to agree that SII would most likely be in the top spot. When you beat Luca he talks about the number of people he has killed. I don't think anyone else is touching that number.
The fighting 108

Post by The fighting 108 »

I think Suikoden II had the highest death count due to Luca Blight committing to Total War against the Jowston population.

Suikoden IV might actually be one of the lower ones. All the battles were naval battles fought with a handful of ships on each side per battle. There were some cut scenes where Lazlo would nuke a bunch of ships if I remember correctly, but even then it didn't seem to be an absolutely staggering number.

I think Suikoden III might actually have the least amount of casualties in the series, as Luc had a very specific goal in mind that didn't require conquering the entire populace of the Grasslands/Zexen to pull off. The war was more of a screen for his real intent and wasn't pressed as much as it could have been. Also, his personal army turned out to be mostly monsters and illusions, so casualties on their side were pretty low at least.
blah1017

Post by blah1017 »

Well we didn't actually see it, but isn't the Succession War often claimed to be one of the bloodiest wars in Suikoden history?
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

Naw, definitely the two Fire Bringer wars were the bloodiest. You can't really separate them as the only reason that they are "two wars" is because of a 50 year haiitus. But the second is the continuation/conclusion of the first.

But other than that, definitely Suikoden 2. Suikoden 1 seemed to be rather controlled/isolated. Suikoden 5 the same way. And Suikoden 4...well...who knows about that.
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

Icegryphon wrote:Naw, definitely the two Fire Bringer wars were the bloodiest. You can't really separate them as the only reason that they are "two wars" is because of a 50 year haiitus. But the second is the continuation/conclusion of the first.

But other than that, definitely Suikoden 2. Suikoden 1 seemed to be rather controlled/isolated. Suikoden 5 the same way. And Suikoden 4...well...who knows about that.

I'd have to agree about the fire bringer war as the most deadliest. In the 1st war, the fire rune annihilated both armies so much that the mighty Harmonia military offered a 50 yrs truces. The 2nd was pretty bad too. So them combined even with a 50 yrs gap were still pretty terrible. Also, yes the Ducan Unification war was prob just as deadly.
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

My main point for SIV actually being quite bloody is that you have to take into consideration that those ships weren't just manned by the 108SoD's there were probaly regular people controlling the ship. Although it was only one ship, at the very beginning when encountering pirate Brandeau he sinks the entire ship. Moreover, when Glenn had possession of the RoP there was a massive amount of ships heading toward the city and he wiped them all out in one clean swipe.

I'm sitting on the fence when it comes to the Fire Bringer Wars. I do agree that the first Fire Bringer War was very bloody due to the rune going out of control and plus the scirmishes that probaly happened during the war. But in the 2nd Fire Bringer War I too thought that the war was a screen for Luc's real intentions. Luc used the phanthom spell to deploy his army and with all of the great tactical minds the "new fire bringer" was actually quite skilled at minmizing their losses.

Another point for SII is that although Luca was a fiendish monster and took the lives of many, most of Highlands' deaths happened after Luca was killed. Think about it, up until Luca gets killed Highland was pushing their army and the City-State was running. Once Luca was gone the City-State struck back making the losses almost mutual.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

If anyone is actually playing s2 or s4 right now you can actually do statistics on numbers as per war battles. I believe that before each battle in s2 the strategist mentions exactly how many people the opposing army has. As we know each battle is only one through gameplay when the entire army is defeated with the exception of retreats you can do basic averages to figure out approximately how many died per battle. With s4 you can take into account how many men are about the ships you battle and use the timing to give a correct guess to how many people were on the ships at the individual times of the rune's use.

Just a thought, and way more work than i'm willing ot put in.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

JanusThePaladin wrote:Just a thought, and way more work than i'm willing ot put in.
I agree. The answer is not worth the work. Here's the answer: a lot of innocent people died in each war due to war mongerers.
The fighting 108

Post by The fighting 108 »

Even if you count the two Fire Bringer Wars as one war, I don't think it is up there with the loss of life in the Dunan wars. The Grasslands seems to be a much more sparsely populated area with no major cities what so ever, and the Harmonian Army wasn't lead by a genocidal maniac (that we know of.) The battle counts might have been high, but the over all loss of the total population probably wasn't as bad.

As for the SIV, if you want to draw parallels to similar vessels in the real world the largest warships, the Ships of the Line, would hold about 600 men (about 200 sailors, 300 soldiers, and 100 gunners) at any given time, and those would be vessels similar in scale to the Dauntless. The others are probably of the Frigate class and would usually have half as much. In the case of pirate vessels, those tended to sail with a much smaller compliment, with everyone pulling double duty as a combatant. Also to be noted, that as these battles were between naval vessels, there's pretty much no loss of civilian life to be had (sailors are part of the military on a naval vessel). Only the Dauntless would have a large population non-combatants aboard, and as we all know that boat never sinks.The only major blow to non-combatants in the war would have been the destruction of Illuya, which was said to be showing a remarkable recovery years later in Suikoden Tactics, so much so that people would never have guessed that half the Island was blown away.
i-heart-percival

Post by i-heart-percival »

I have to agree with whoever says the Fire Bringer War because in the 1st one, wasn't there like 50,000 alone that died?
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

Personally, without looking at hard numbers, my choice would be s2. Given the deaths of all the citizens of Muse, and a good deal of the citizens of the Toto area, plus the many people killed by your own army on your warpath through Highland, and any people who happened to be inside the Castle when it collapsed, i'd say this is likely to be your deadliest war.
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

The fighting 108 wrote:I think Suikoden III might actually have the least amount of casualties in the series, as Luc had a very specific goal in mind that didn't require conquering the entire populace of the Grasslands/Zexen to pull off. The war was more of a screen for his real intent and wasn't pressed as much as it could have been. Also, his personal army turned out to be mostly monsters and illusions, so casualties on their side were pretty low at least.
But IF Luc complete his goal then Fire Bringer War 2 would be the bloodiest war ever. The casualities would cover entire continent maybe more. :)
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
Ayu.Craz-azn

Post by Ayu.Craz-azn »

Are we counting Tierkreis?

*spoilers ahead?*
The Magedom just disappeared
and that advanced civilization got turned into rarohenga after all
*spoilers end*

But Suikoden II and the original Fire Bringer war rank pretty high up there too
A town sacrificed and a whole plain set ablaze gotta rack up some serious death counts