True Runes, Soul Eater, and Ted

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
WichitaQ

Re: True Runes, Soul Eater, and Ted

Post by WichitaQ »

i was just about to say that there's a difference between "growing" and "aging" but it was already said by ice.

but there are few things you're forgetting that clarify the situation.

True Runes are said to give immortality and i think that's pretty much clear in the game. but they don't stop a person from growing, they only stop it from aging!
secondly, we also know (from the game) that True Runes have a will of their own and that they choose their bearers sometimes!
so, if you were a True Rune (lol, what a funny assumption) would you rather choose a person in their prime time, or a crying baby? and also, if you were a True Rune on a baby, wouldn't you let your bearer to grow, otherwise you have no use from him/her?

and finally, nobody mentioned han and genkaku... they had the black sword and the bright shield rune before riou and jowy. and from those small parts when we see han and genkaku, they're in their prime time. once they sealed their runes, they went to become old. now, i don't know (or i don't remember) just how did han and genkaku obtain their runes and when... but from what can be seen in suikoden 2 they got it and remained young, once they left it they started to grow old.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Han and Genkaku were never full True Rune bearers though, so they haven't experienced agelessness.
carmelenigma

Post by carmelenigma »

I have a theory regarding this.. The true rune holders that we see age are Luc, Sasarai and Ted. Now i think luc and sasarai should be exempt from this simply because they were genetically engineered to bear their respective runes. There are so many ways the writers could exempt them from that rule so we should just except that. Also Sasarai stated in suikoden 3 that he was in his 30s while he looked much younger, which would lead me to believe that the rune had some affect on his aging, while not technically making him immortal it could slow his age.

Now my theory with Ted and the way i would write this off if i was a suikoden writer would be simple. Ted was a child when he recieved the soul eater, and then he isnt seen again in he suikoverse until the Island nation wars. At that time ted didnt even have the soul eater, he gave it to that ship entity. I believe that perhaps ted lived with the entity and gave up his rune just long enough for his body to age again up until he recovered his rune and then never aged again in the next 150 years. *whew*

As for the entity claiming that time didnt exist in his ship... maybe he was just lying in order to collect true runes.
avenger

Post by avenger »

when ted let the captain of the ghost ship borrow his soul eater, ted lost his agelessness powers and began to grow younger. the soul eater rune could have powers that make the bearer go younger instead of older.. so then in suikoden 1 ted was just a kid.
now ted was a teen in suikoden 4. ok.... let me think this over, what about the part when ted was in that village and yuber showed up with neklord and windy? ted had the soul eater then.. how long between that period and suikoden 1? i forget...
i think i agree with icegryphon. but i think that the soul eater reverses the age process.
carmelenigma

Post by carmelenigma »

Ted got the soul eater 300 years before suikoden 1, we meet the ship entity 150 years later. Im sayin its possible that when he gave up the soul eater he aged up until he got it back and that explains why hes a teenager in suiko 1.
avenger

Post by avenger »

ok i get it..
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

been a long time since ive talked about suikoden but I could have sworn that Ted was given agelessness from the fog ship guide(as long as he stayed on the boat)
Maryukujin

Post by Maryukujin »

Icegryphon wrote:So...True runes are supposed to freeze you in time essentially right? Meaning, you put a true rune on and you're that age till someone/something kills you, or until you relinquish the rune yes?

So how come Ted is a child when he gets the Soul Eater, but a teen 300 years later when he hooks up with Tir?

Are we to assume that he wandered as an eternal kid for 150ish years, then arrived on the Fog Ship as a kid, gave the rune to the captain and then was on the Fog Ship for 10 years before Lazlo showed up and he took the rune again?

Even if this is so, I doubt that they had that in mind when they made Suiko1...so is this just a total plot hole?

I believe they explain this in Suikoden4 if I am not mistaken when Ted was travelling on the Fog Ship he wasn't bearing his rune the guy inside the ship was. This would explain why he ages a few years between the Flashback in 1 and the age he normally is seen as. (sorry for being a little vague on some of the details with the fog ship, I've only played 4 twice)
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I believe they explain this in Suikoden4 if I am not mistaken when Ted was travelling on the Fog Ship he wasn't bearing his rune the guy inside the ship was. This would explain why he ages a few years between
They explain quite clearly that the Fog Ship has the same effect. Otherwise it would be a really crappy deal on part of the bearer considering anyone that's had a True Rune for longer than their natural life will be catching up and die.

The intro also quite clearly shows Ted encountering the Fog Ship. As an adult.

It's already been explained multiple times that True Runes allow their bearers to mature.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.