can the gaiden's be played on a ps2

A forum for questions and discussions about the Gaiden titles, Cardstories for the Gameboy Advance and the physical card game.
Wicked_Rune_Bearer

can the gaiden's be played on a ps2

Post by Wicked_Rune_Bearer »

i want to know if the gaidens can be played on the ps2 because i just got the exported games from japan unopened and the only way i would even serioisly consider opening them is if they work on the ps2 and like i said even if it does i still would uncertain. Also another quiestion who would open it and do you think it would drastically drop the value of the games
A rpg-suikoden site that lets you choose your character and basically play suikoden on your computer as if it was on your ps console
http://z14.invisionfree.com/Suikoden_Legends
Buff

Post by Buff »

if your ps2 can play exported games then i would say most likely.but i don't know how exported games work.
Wicked_Rune_Bearer

what i'm asking is if a normal american early version of the ps2 (don't know the technical name) can play a exported game like the gaiden and if not what could. and if you would open and what you thought.
A rpg-suikoden site that lets you choose your character and basically play suikoden on your computer as if it was on your ps console
Night

Post by Night »

No they won't work. Japan is a completely different rgion from the US, so your PS2 would either need to be chipped or to use something similar to the SwapMagic (I know they do NTSC to PAL, but I'm not sure about other regions). Plus, if you can't read Japanese it's going to be a completely wasted experience :wink:
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
Wicked_Rune_Bearer

even so i wouldn't say wasted a true suikoden gamer wouldn't care that he couldn't read it yet just enjoy the scenes and never before seen gameplay
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

there is no gameplay, its like a big story book, if you cant read the text then the game is useless, you bassically read and then choose an option and that option will either lead you to more reading or give you movie cutscenes
Wicked_Rune_Bearer

but like i said if you so how know which option to choose , like an guide for those who don't know whould tell you how to continue either the 1st, 2nd or if there was a 3rd. Then you could at least know a little even if you don't read japanese. like what happened to humphrey and where viki's from. To some people just that would be enough.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

In that case, search for dmx's translation of the Gaiden flowcharts in the weblog. Would those be enough as rough walkthroughs to the two games?
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

Gaidens really require knowledge in japanese. You are looking at a novel's worth of text between the two games. There is a decent amount of kanji as well as katakana which combines to spell foreign influenced terms. It is not a simple as knowing five words picked up at an anime convention and being able to go from there.

And while some rough explanations exist for the series of events, it really won't give you a satisfactory experience. All of the fun is picking up on character interaction. Sure you can insult Sierra multiple times and see an angry face, but what good is that if you have no clue what was said to her?

As far as the PS2, you need it modded or you need an emulator for the computer to play the disk. However it is best to try it only if you know at least SOME japanese.
Firedragon524

Post by Firedragon524 »

It's a shame Konami will never release this in the States. I would buy it.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Oi, change your avatar.

Suikogaiden won't work on an unmodded non-japanese ps1 or ps2, I tried it because I'm too hard-headed. :P
Koden

Post by Koden »

ggrrrrr...so basically, if you don't know japanese and/or live in japan, you cannot play the games to where they will make sense and give you that fuzzy feeling of acomplishment when you beat it? surely there's some way...

is it the same for card stories??
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Yeah, same for the Card Stories, unfortunately.
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

Koden wrote:ggrrrrr...so basically, if you don't know japanese and/or live in japan, you cannot play the games to where they will make sense and give you that fuzzy feeling of acomplishment when you beat it? surely there's some way...

is it the same for card stories??
Well, you can do ps1 emulation on a pc. In fact the gaidens you can really get around even without a controller since it's basically advancing the story and picking options. I you don't want to mod a playstation or import a japanese system then it is an option to consider.

But unless someone really dedicates the time and effort into doing a full translation it's impossible to get the full experience.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Many gamers today try to mod their outdated ps1's. If this is a legal recommendation here, I'd suggest it.