Translation

A forum for questions and discussions about the Gaiden titles, Cardstories for the Gameboy Advance and the physical card game.
josquius

Translation

Post by josquius »

Does a translation of the script exist anywhere or is the summary on the site the closest we have?
I ask as I am thinking of remaking the game and I'd rather not have to go magic round about style and rewrite the script totally.
Signatures are for people with free time
adrich
Elite Member

Post by adrich »

I don't believe there is any fully translated version of either Suikogaiden (I may be wrong, but I've never heard of one). They're text adventures so I'd assume there's a lot of text, and it doesn't seem like many translators are up to tackling the whole thing, at least not without compensation.

I know Suikosource's translators are especially unfond of being asked to translate it.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

It's roughly a full 100 page of text from beginning to end, if we have 400 characters/page. Most professionals I know charge $0.1/character, and thus a full page of translation would be about $40. One hundred pages would be a $4000 work, which is no easy task. I do technical translations, which are sometimes $100/page. This is because translation is a very time-consuming and mentally draining process--even for native leavel speakers.

In the past, I have offered to translate the script for $2000, but I was only able to get pledges worth $479, wo the project never took off. Although I love Suikoden, translating the entire gaiden is totally not fun at all, and would take many many hours to finish--likely 6 months (at least).

I have thought of perhaps translating bits and pieces--only progressing after geting a certain amount of contribution. I'm still mulling that possibility.
Kyojin Blight

Post by Kyojin Blight »

A summary works for me. I could only imagine the stress it would cause on someone to translate that whole game. Sounds like a crazy task to me. It would be kind of cool if they released them here, though. Maybe as a two-disc collectors edition type thing. Throw in a watch, rune toy, and maybe a CD. It would probably sell alright if Suikoden IV does well.
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

Hmm...does anyone know where I could find the Suikogaidens? I'd like to attempt the impossible and possibly translate them...People may think I'm crazy, but...I'd like to try anyway.
Hello Suikoden-type people:D
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

You can get them from himeya.com.

You should get them legally, instead of pirating it from some site.
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

I'm trying to. So far seems like I can get them on ebay, but I need a paypal account and I need to force my PS2 to play Japanese games...
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I may have found a disk that let's PS2s play import games, but if not, my bros should still have our little box thing laying around(with the help of a spring, this box allowed our Playstation to play imports.) Does anyone know if the game kinda let's the text sit there long enough for you to write it down or anything? If it's like most of the Suikoden games, the text should kinda sit there till you move it, I think.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Futagi wrote:Thanks for the help everyone. I think I may have found a disk that let's PS2s play import games, but if not, my bros should still have our little box thing laying around(with the help of a spring, this box allowed our Playstation to play imports.) Does anyone know if the game kinda let's the text sit there long enough for you to write it down or anything? If it's like most of the Suikoden games, the text should kinda sit there till you move it, I think.
The text will stay on the screen until you press a button, yep.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

I started translating the Gaiden a bit out of pure boredom. I probably have less than 1% of the game done though, only about 3 pages of text. It isn't too bad, just takes time.
Arucard

Post by Arucard »

so you know what is written in those 3 big text pages? :o

how about you make a topic to recruit some people to help you translate the game? that would make translating a bit easier. like one person translates this person`s text etc... OR like one person translates this certain chapter etc...

can you please post what you translated so far? :D
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Sure, here it is---

Chapter One--The Visitor

...Two days since crossing the Highland border...
Our destination, Muse--the leader of the City States of Jowston--is still far away.

????: Hey, you are slouching again.

My name is Nash.

Nash Latkje.

Being a special ops agent of the Holy Kingdom of Harmonia's Southern Fringe Security Force, I have been sent to this land with a mission.

????: Careful, you are swaying.

The Security Force has been informed that "One of the 27 True Runes" has appeared in the City States of Jowston--"Verify the truth in this report and if a True Rune is discovered, relay back the information and if possible, appropriate it"--it's the same order as always, obscure and unreliable.
Hopefully this time the information is genuine.

????: At this rate my headache will just get worse. I won't even be able to sleep!

Sometimes I feel like my job is not worth it.
Chasing after missions that sound like fairy tales--
and often I end up finding nothing.
At least this time I have a clue so it's better than most times but...

????: *sigh*... You TRULY are worthless are you not? At this rate, when will we ever arrive at Muse...

(Nash turns his head towards Sierra, who is sitting on the luggage that Nash is carrying on his back)

Nash: Shut UuuuuuuP!!!!!!!

Nash: Stop complaining up there!!!!

Why!!!

Must I!!!

Be your!!!

Porter!!!

Sierra: *sigh*..... You mention that again...... Do you not wish to have more clues about "True Runes?"

Nash: I did say that but...

Sierra: First of all, you were the one who volunteered to carry my luggage.

Nash: Yeah... but...

Sierra: Hopeless... I grudgingly agreed to accompany you, for YOU insisted that you wanted to hear about True Runes from me. As a bargain, you said you would carry my luggage. Or were you lying?

(Nash suddenly sits on the ground)

Nash: Luggage carrier..... impossible.... it's impossible to get anything trough to a vampire who's lived a 1000 years....

This woman who outwardly appears to be a timid girl, but inside is just selfish, cunning, and obnoxious is the owner of the "Moon Rune," which is one of the "27 True Runes." This also means that she is the "Original" of the nether worldly vampires. Well, that's all the "clues" I have for now...

Nash: But I didn't hear about you sitting on top of the luggage!

Sierra: I'm low on blood and haven't been sleeping well. It would be cruel to make me walk on this wasteland.

Nash: Then why didn't you call for a carriage or something?

Sierra: At the last town we were at they were out of carriages, so what choice did we have? Anyhow...

(Kobold Mom and two Kobold Boys appear on a horse-drawn wagon. One of the boys holds a figurine in his right hand.)

Kobold Mom: Come on, stop horsing around.

Kobold Boy (Older brother): Nooo, this is miiine.

Kobold Boy (Younger brother): Just let me look at it, just look? please?

Kobold Mom: Oh my, it's good to be active but don't start fighting.

(Nash and Sierra resting on the grass)

Nash: ...Hey, Sierra.... what did you say about the carriage?

Sierra: ...Shut up.

(Kobold Boys argue on the wagon)

Kobold Boy (Younger brother): Come On!!! Let me see it!! Let me see it!!!

Kobold Boy (Older brother): Noooo, this is min... Oh!!

(Sound of something flying through the air)

Sierra: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(To be continued)
Arucard

Post by Arucard »

hey man thanks! that`s awesome. y`know, if i had any idea how to hack the game i would make a patch for the ISO with your translated text to create an english version :D
Eternal Rune

Post by Eternal Rune »

can you really hack the game and write what you want??
and if so
does that mean i can hack into a psx game and re write it by myself???
by the words i want???
if possible, could you tell us how?? PLUS, won't konami be upset if the fans started to translate suikogaiden 1&2???????
Arucard

Post by Arucard »

well, i dunno how, but you can. :P