[Card Stories] Deck strategies that you find useful

A forum for questions and discussions about the Gaiden titles, Cardstories for the Gameboy Advance and the physical card game.
darkknightkv

[Card Stories] Deck strategies that you find useful

Post by darkknightkv »

This area does not get much love so I figured I would create a new topic.

I took a small break from Suikoden 5 to play card stories. I tried to bully my way though the game using one deck...That got me to the first war (Not very far) before I was completely destroyed over and over by a deck using MIL missions...I had to recreate and be creative. I have found about 5 strategies so far.

-Win by attack missions (Pretty simple, easiest so far)
-Win by Facilities (Yes, you need 2 of them for one point but they are easy to build and give you nice boosts)
-Win by MIL missions (Dislike...Just hard to do in general for me right now in the game)
-Win by cards ( I find this works really well against decks that use MIL missions and is a deck I am currently using....But I just found out that a Leknaat card exists and was used...Sigh)
-Win by duel missions ( I made a deck that revolved around the duel missions, it was actually kinda fun to use until the enemies started getting some powerful cards)

What type of strategies have you guys found useful or are good counters? Now I am still early on in the game so I dont have many unique cards yet.

Oh and as a side note, Hilda and the Inn facility is one of the best combinations I have found so far. Hilda's card is just pretty overpowered in general.
Win the Inn and put strong card on it (Jowy for example), Next mission play Hilda, swap her with Jowy, when mission is won, the Inn will let you swap Jowy for Hilda and allow Hilda to be placed back in your hand. Rinse and repeat.
Any other combinations you have found fun?

Why do I always write so much...
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Deck strategies that you find useful

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

If it's the Solon Jhee mission at North Window that caused you trouble it's no surprise, that mission is heavily unbalanced to you because by this point you won't have earned many MIL cards and if you saved after crossing the lake you have no place to go to train either and get new cards since you can't go anywhere till the mission is done. Got stuck there years ago when I first bought GBA cart and played and sure enough, replaying it with the patch I got stuck there again.

I got through it by using duel cards mostly and cards with high P and used the few MIL's to try and stall the comps turns as best I could. Particularily Duel II works well there since the card is chosen randomly and Solon likes to stack Solon Jhee cards which have high MIL but 0 P.

I never bothered with facilities much, the fact that you have to build two to get a VP and they're mostly only useful with a particular card stationed on them means they take up too much space in the deck with little gain most of the time.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
darkknightkv

Post by darkknightkv »

Heh, I did finally make it past him by making a card wasting deck.

I think the game gave me a small tip because RIGHT before that battle is a battle with shu and in my game anyway he had a deck that just made me burn though my cards so after beating my head against Solon's deck I remembered it.

Facilities worked great against him, I just kept putting them out and he would waste 3-4 cards destoying it. Other than that I only use the Inn for the reason above.

But yes finally got past him and am at my base for now.

I was a huge fan of card games as a child, wish this would have caught on in the states, has a lot more depth than the original pokemon game. (Hey, I was like 12 at the time).

I actually dont have enough duel cards to make a deck around them....In the beginning of the game I saw that duel 1 and duel 2 had the same description so I sold most of them...I know that they are different now, I am playing the translation so it could have just been a misprint, or I read it too fast.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Both Duel cards have the same text in the translation, but Duel 1 let's you pick any random card from your hand (sometimes the AI likes to play mission/facilities for some reason) while Duel 2 picks a card at random. The original Japanese has slightly varying text to account for this difference (at least the physical cards do) but since the patch is based on a machine translation this difference seems to have been lost.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.