[Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden III

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

[Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden III

Post by Oppenheimer »

Reviews and opinions on certain games are generally disallowed at Suikosource. However, your friendly moderators and admins have noticed that there is a great love and need to discuss opinions and give reviews of the various Suikoden games in the series so these threads have been created!

In this thread you may discuss Suikoden III and give your reviews and opinions on it. You may refer to the other Suikodens but please keep the primary focus of the conversations about your opinions of Suikoden III. You may talk about plot, setting, gameplay or anything else.

Please keep all reviews and opinions to the stickies in each gameplay forum. This change in policy does not mean that the remainder of Suikosource is allowing opinions or reviews.

Enjoy!
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Branky and Mel scare me. Utterly.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Feldoon wrote:Branky and Mel scare me. Utterly.
I think they're supposed to. But that's the fun of it. They certainly are interesting characters, better than the Suikoden IV blandies. Plus you can get them quite early which is a plus.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

They're ideal for Thomas' major battles. I had Mel and Piccolo frying and zapping Zexens like it was going out of fashion.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

And Augustine :D of course, don't forget him!
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Augustine made me wish there was a "Push off harbour" option.

Mainly because I wanted to see his response. :lol:

Anyway, I recruited Mel with Thomas. So, being at level 32, she was a major aid.
Last edited by Feldoon on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Well, as much as I'd hate to see a narcissist come to any harm, that would be funny to see Augustine flounder in the water. I can imagine he would not be impressed.
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Oh, I wouldn't want him to come to harm. I just thought it'd be hilarious.

About as funny as putting Sctoltheim(sp?) II in a rowing boat in high seas. But that's for a different board. ;P
nuizilla

Post by nuizilla »

I like a drama performance

i put Christ on the stage in Romeo&Juliet ,and gave her Juliet role.

it's very hilarious. i almost rolled myself on the floor :lol: :lol:
(-_-")("-_-)
Kidd The Investigator

Better with age...

Post by Kidd The Investigator »

Is it just me or does Suikoden 3 get better the more times you play it, even more so than the previous titles? It might be just because when I first played it I expected too much out of it. Now that I have played through it 10+ times it feels like it is the most under appreciated game of the series. It may have the highest replay value in the entire series because of multiple true rune combinations and chapter order. I find myself being half way through Final Fantasy XII and wanting to play SuikoIII again. Please Discuss.
ChipSet

Post by ChipSet »

Well, after finishing the game with the 108 SOD, i have have to say that. Suikoden 3 was a good rpg. However, between the 4 and 5 (never
played the 1 and 2) it is the worst Suikoden i played. I agree, Suikoden 4 is short, some area seemed rush , the story may not be has good
then 2 other (and I'm still not sure which story i prefer between the 3 and 4 ) , but Suikoden 3 has way to many flaw to be great ...at least to me.First, the 'main' enemies are way to strong. They are way to many
'unwinnable' (if there such word) battle or should i say...barely winnable battle. The 3 main villain are too strong compared to the rest of the monster's we fight in this game; especially Yuber. I mean if I'm to just be raped by this guy... why on earth do you allow me to fight him...? Why just not show me a cut scene or something? I though that maybe in my first play through, I was not high level enough to take him...but after 180 hour' s in my second play I'm wandering why i need to fight this guy ? I mean i can beat him, but hell! What a pain in the ass... And well Trust me I've played my share of hard rpg , title like nocturne, dds1 and 2. Those game are hard, but if i have the proper level. I never see some boss
one shot, one of my main character out of the blue.

Anyway, the lack of voice acting was also a major let down...at least for me. This game has alot of dialog...and not only there's no voice , but in many scene there's just no music...no sound ..nothing !
Just some foot step here and there; read the text and that's about it.... I mean beside the sad scene with Yun . Which was the best
scene of the entire game if you ask me! I really didn't care about who died or who was about to die..... especially during Lulu dieing
scene. I was like man , talk about a good news, one less weird character out of the main story ...nice job Chris ;), i didn't feel any emotion in most of the 'sad scene' . Also, the war battle are too random for my taste. In so many situation i would haved like to control the action of , at least , the leader of my group. Here a simple example. At the last battle , 2 of the team member of sarasai group are about to die...i choose attack ( i though to myself he will cast kindness rain or something ), but nooooooo!!!!! He cast breath of of ice!!!!!!Do almost no damage and my 2 damaged character died :(. Or the enemy group leader is at 20 hp...and no one in my freaking group is intelligent enough to finishing off...talk about fun. Finally, and this is another is a personal taste (again :) ), but is it me or Hugo chapter are just boring..with the exception of chapter 3
(which is short), most of the time you are trapped in some game event and can't go recruiting and/or levelling your char. Well , like i said
Suikoden 3 is a good rpg, better then many other rpg on the ps2...but this Suikoden could have been so much more....

p.s: I'm new...and well english is not my primary language . Sorry for the grammar and/or any speliing mistake i hope you got the main idea :wink:
Last edited by ChipSet on Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kharaa

Post by kharaa »

the lack of voice acting don't upset me too badly, cause i grew up on old school RPG's, however being spoiled like I have been with suiko 4 and 5 it was a bit disapointing, but if you want a game with ALOT of dialog, try Xenogears.
ChipSet

Post by ChipSet »

That or Xenosaga 1,2 and 3 and i played all of them. Like i said...it would have been better with voice...but i can deal with no voice
acting. But why there's no sound or music in half of the key scene in the game? That what's turn me off the most, but i played S3 for about 180 hour or so, i guess it's not that bad :wink:
Pokerface

Post by Pokerface »

A very big + is the thing that you can play from 4 different points of view. I like the style they designed Vinay del Zexay in old germanic art and the music there was perfect. Well I missed hmm let's say 1 or 2 more narcissists but there are no more things I have to criticise.

The story was awesome and the major batles as well. The mounting system was also a bit + AND we had the pleasure to recruit well known caracters from Suikoden 1 and 2. And of course the look and style of the spells were devastating.

Great game.
Mess with the best, die like the rest!
http://www.suikoden3.de
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

suikoden III is great cuz u played suikoden I and II, if u dont played that 2 games is logical that III doesnt like u ( and weird that u can understand all plots of leknaat, sindars, etc )
Sorry for my very bad english! :S