pronouncing names in suikoden 3

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

It's "Geddoe" though, not "Geedoe".
Elridge

Post by Elridge »

Woops! Corrected!
Thanks for pointing that out. It was just a typo, though. Just misplaced the double letter while writing it.
Lino84

Post by Lino84 »

Vexen said
"Augustine: ow-gos-tin (ow like in low)"

That would be Augustine: ah-gus-teen I have a friend with that name I know that one
(Ah as in open wide and say ahhh, gus rhymes with bus, Teen as like the numbers 13, 14, 15, Etc...)
#1 Paper Clips Trombones n 1 Sujetapapeles No. 1
Kranach

Re: pronouncing names in suikoden 3

Post by Kranach »

Suikoden
never herd of "Sui" don't you watch naruto? or ever herd of fengsui? Su-wee-ko-den. but i first pronounced it as suy-ko-den. Sui is water.
Suikoden I - Fuma/Kage/Kasumi
Suikoden II - Mondo/sasuke/Kasumi
Suikoden III - Landis/Watari/Ayame
Suikoden IV - Akaghi/Mizuki/Kate
Suikoden V - Shigure/Sagiri/Raven
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

When it's a clearly Japanese name or word, like Sanae or Watari, Vowels always only have ONE sound:

'A' is always "ah", like the o in Obelisk.

'E' is always "eh", like the e in Empire.

'I' is always "eee", Like the i in Suite.

'O' is always "Oh", like the o in Omega.

And finally, 'U' is "ooo", like the u in Flu. ('Y' will always be a consonent.)

So, in order to make the other vowel sounds, they combine these letters. To get a hard 'A', they combine 'E' and 'I'. E goes eh; and I goes Eee, so we get Eh-eee. Say that fast and it sounds like A as in Bake. A+I would make the hard I sound, so on and so forth.

So from this, Watari is 'Wah-Tah-Ree', and Sanae is 'Sahn ah-eh'(but only 2 syllables, the vowels at the end slur into one sound)

Also, I speak fluent French, and Guillaume is The French translation for William. However, it is pronounced 'Gi-Yohm'. The Gi is like the Japanese Tunic with a hard G, an the y in yohm is like a half-letter. Saying it strong like 'Yellow' isn't right, but just 'ohm' isn't quite right either. It's somewhere in between.

And I've always pronounced Geddoe like a French name, so 'Jeh-Doe.' In French, it sounds much like J'adore, which means 'I have love or infatuation with something. But again in that, the r is a little softer than the Americans pronounce it, bringining it closer to Geddoe.
Last edited by Aerolithe Lion on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

Oh and as for Suikoden, the entire point of that post, follow the outline:

Soo-eee-koh-Dehn.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Aerolithe Lion wrote:Okay, here's a little language lesson for everyone. When it's a clearly Japanese name or word, like Sanae or Watari, Vowels always only have ONE sound:

That's pretty much the same sound for me. Both are an O sound rather than 'ah'. I guess A would be more like in 'afternoon' than 'obelisk'. But it all depends on accent so yours might be right for you.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

Nikisaur wrote:
Aerolithe Lion wrote:Okay, here's a little language lesson for everyone. When it's a clearly Japanese name or word, like Sanae or Watari, Vowels always only have ONE sound:

That's pretty much the same sound for me. Both are an O sound rather than 'ah'. I guess A would be more like in 'afternoon' than 'obelisk'. But it all depends on accent so yours might be right for you.
Okay, thatwas a bad example. I pronounce obelisk like offense, observe. Afternoon is too strong of an A sound, more like Jaw, Straw, Guffaw. So Waw Taw Ree is how it's intended to be pronounced, if it was intended to be the Japanese word. But the glory of no voice acting is that imaginations are welcome.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

I pronounce it like those words too. I dunno, with different accents pronunciation is always difficult to communicate in text.

Also, a mod will come along sooner or later and say you don't need to quote the post directly above you :)
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

My next patch project will be to convert the games into the International Phonetic Alphabet, then nobody will be able to mistake a pronunciation. Also, nobody will be able to play the stupid thing.

"sɑrdʒənt dʒo helz frəm ðə lɪtəl vɪlɪdʒ əv dəkbərg."