pronouncing names in suikoden 3

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

The translation archive at my site will show you how it is pronounced.

http://www.suikox.com/sound/
grg06

Post by grg06 »

BahamutXero wrote:I've only heard it pronounced "Sue-koe-den".
well, ive always pronounced it "shuh-koh-den"
dont ask me why though, when i first saw the game, the guy playing it pronounced it like that, and it stuck
sonic_Reaper

Post by sonic_Reaper »

As for the "William" thing, I was really just jokin' around ^^ Guillaume is a different take on a regular name, which is cool. Just... it confuses us fans so much when they pick obscure names like that. @.@
I mean no disrespect but to a French speaking audience this would not be considered an obscure name. And I being a fan and familiar with French (as well as other Romantic languages) understood the name from the get-go with no confusion.
L'Renouille
Hm, I believe in French grenouille means frog. Grenouille is pronounced "greu-nooeel(eu)". It's hard to explain that long/deep "e" sound (it's also used in the french word for Blue, "Bleu"). Just remove the "g" and add an "l" to get the Suikoden area name. It's a bit weird to jumble two consonents together like that, so you could use another one of those long/deep "e"s in there; "leu-reu-nooeel(eu)".
Vexen

Post by Vexen »

Here's how I pronounce every SOD's name:

Thomas: ta-mas (same as the real name)
Salome: sa-lowm (ow just like low, not crown)
Fubar: foo-bar
Ace: ace (same as the card)
Sarah: se-ra (same as real name)
Yuber: yoo-ber (uber with a you in the beginning...he is uber :D )
Luc: luke (same as real name)
Albert: al-bert (same as real name)
Twaikin: tway-kin (short i in second syllable)
Sasarai: sa-sa-ry (rhymes with dry)
Jimba: jim-ba (jim just like the real name)
Nash: nash (just like nashville minus the ville)
Alanis: ala-nis (same as singer Alanis Morisette)
Mua: mu-wa
Nadir: na-dir (short i. It's a word by the way)
Caesar: see-zar (just like Julius Caesar)
Juan: hwan (one syllable. Same as Mexican/Spanish name)
Aila: Ai-la (Ai rhymes with ray, not tie)
Queen: kween (same as monarch/card)
Dominic: do-mi-nick
Duke: dook
Sgt. Joe: sar-jint jo
Hallec: ha-lek
Elliot: ell-yit (same as real name)
Jeane: jeen
Barts: bartz
Dupa: doo-pa
Hugo: hyoo-go (same as real name)
Chris: kris (same as real name)
Franz: franz
Shabon: sha-ben (the en sounds like the french en...the n is almost silent)
Bright: brite
Bazba: baz-ba (baz sounds like Chaz)
Estella: es-tella (same as real name)
Iku: i-koo (i like in ick)
Fred: fred (same as real name)
Toppo: ta-po (just like toppings but with an o instead of ings)
Shiba: shee-ba
Yun: yun (un part sounds similar to en in french)
Cecile: seh-seel
Scott: scot (same as real name)
Rico: ree-ko
Beecham: bee-chum
Lucia: loo-sha
Edge: edj
Geddoe: ge-do (g like in get, not gin)
Ernie: er-nee
Percival: per-civil
Gau: gawe (g like in get. Rhymes with awe)
Yuiri: you-wee-ree
Yumi: you-mee
Melville: mel-ville (same as real name)
Dios: dee-yows (ow like in low)
Borus: bo-ris
Reed: reed
Samus: shay-mis
Sebastian: se-bast-yan (same as real name)
Roland: row-land (ow like in low. same as real name)
Koroku: kow-row-koo (ow's like in low)
Rhett: ret
Mike: myke (same as real name)
Mio: mee-yo
Shizu: shee-zoo
Sharon: sha-ron (same as real name)
Arthur: ar-thur (same as real name)
Louis: loo-wee (same as real name)
Luce: loose
Tuta: too-ta
Hortez VII: hor-tez vee (just kidding. hor-tez the seventh)
Nicolas: nick-ow-las (ow like in low. Same as real name)
Viktor: victor (sorry, had to put him in there cause he's so cool)
Flik: flick (same as above)
Kidd: kid
Mamie: ma-mee (ma sounds like a goat's noise)
Sanae Y: sa-nay why
Futch: futch (fut sounds like foot)
Elaine: el-ayn (ay like ray. Same as real name)
Gadget Z: gad-jit zee
Apple: ap-pel (same as fruit)
Ruby: roo-bee
Anne: ann (same as real name)
Lilly: li-lee (same as real name)
Jacques: jack (same as real name)
Viki: vi-key (i like in sit)
Peggi: peh-gee (g like in get)
Kathy: ka-thee (same as real name)
Rody: row-dee (ow like in low)
Watari: wa-ta-ree (rhymes with Atari)
Eike: eye-k
Augustine: ow-gos-tin (ow like in low)
Martha: mar-tha (same as real name)
Emily: em-me-lee (same as real name)
Guillaume: gwi-yome (rhymes with Rome)
Ayame: a-ya-meh
Leo: lee-yo
Belle: bell
Wilder: will-der
Billy: billy (same as real name)
Gordon: gor-don (same as real name)
The memory's wiles are cruel. In its silence, we forget. And in its perversion, it binds our hearts firmly.
Vexen

Post by Vexen »

A couple of others:

Suikoden: soo-ko-den
L'Renouille: ler-reno-wee (er sounds like earth without the th)
The memory's wiles are cruel. In its silence, we forget. And in its perversion, it binds our hearts firmly.
ViktorFan

Post by ViktorFan »

Vexen wrote:Here's how I pronounce every SOD's name:

Luc is the french version of Luke and is pronounced Lük, but in english there's no ü. And Jacques is the french version of Jack and isn't pronounced like Jack, but like "schuck", the "sch" not like in "school" but like the "s" in "usual".
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

ViktorFan wrote:
Vexen wrote:Here's how I pronounce every SOD's name:

Luc is the french version of Luke and is pronounced Lük, but in english there's no ü. And Jacques is the french version of Jack and isn't pronounced like Jack, but like "schuck", the "sch" not like in "school" but like the "s" in "usual".
Link
Keepers of the Flame wrote:Jacques

Here we go with the artistic freedom again... The name was literally Jakku, the Japanese spelling of Jack.

Thank you mr.Translator for that... it didn't ruin the symbolism of Geddoe's unit being the suited cards of a deck or anything either, you know the Jack, Queen, Ace, Joker deal?
Plenty of reason to call him "Jack" instead of "schuck", nay?
ViktorFan

Post by ViktorFan »

If the name is literally Jakku, the japanese spelling of Jack, they could have written it "Jack" if they want that it's pronounced like the english "Jack". But they wrote "Jacques" and this is french and is never pronounced like "Jack".
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

ViktorFan wrote:If the name is literally Jakku, the japanese spelling of Jack, they could have written it "Jack" if they want that it's pronounced like the english "Jack". But they wrote "Jacques" and this is french and is never pronounced like "Jack".
Like they could have left Dharma as Order. But, y'know, artistic freedom reigns supreme. Even though Dharma and Order are completely different and only Order and Chaos would show duality. The translator could have actually played the previous games so they could have kept Luca Blight as King/Prince instead of emperor, the Flame Champion as Fire Hero and the Fire Bringer as Keepers of the Flame.

It's well known that the translator of Suikoden III is a jackass. Yes, Suikoden III didn't have as much Engrish as I and II, but the translation was poor. Thus it is perfectly acceptable to pronounce his name "Jack".
ViktorFan

Post by ViktorFan »

You have your opinion and I have mine. I learnt french for some years so I know how I have to speak the names (the same for "Vincent de Boule", but it's off topic). The translator may say what he wants :wink: , it's not important for me. But as I said: it's my opinion :D .
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

ViktorFan wrote:The translator may say what he wants.
One name:

"Roaring Brotherhood".
Fu Su Lu

Post by Fu Su Lu »

It is pointless.
If the translator screwed it or not should not be discussed in pronunciation thread in my opinion.
It is my opinion too that if I see Jacques, the real pronunciation will be like the french name; If it was Jack, then the american pronunciation.
I think we should attach to facts, how we pronounce what we see, what IS there not what we think it should be, because then it would be -another- endless thing.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Feldoon wrote:The translator could have actually played the previous games so they could have kept Luca Blight as King/Prince instead of emperor,
Interesting. I didn't recall this instance, but I have come across a few instances elsewhere where Highland was called "kou-koku" (same with Kooluk), instead of Kingdom ("ou-koku").
the Flame Champion as Fire Hero
This is a mistake by S2's translators. One early JP ad by Konami Japan called him the Flame Champion, never "Fire Hero". Simply because it was the name used before shouldn't make it the correct one. "True Holy Rune", anyone?

Jack/Jacques. A list of romanized names is provided with the JP release of the S3 manga, and his name is clearly spelt as Jacques.
Vexen

Post by Vexen »

Eh? I understand if people get upset at things like "Zexen Rune", "Roaring Brotherhood", and "True Holy Rune" because those are misleading and may spawn a ton of unnecessary theories. Mistranslations are also bad (the Sasarai/Luc meeting) because they make no sense. However, that link also has a lot of bickering on some things that really don't matter in the grand scheme of things. I personally don't care if the bird was called Fubar or Hoover or if it's Star Dragon or Zodiac Sword because it doesn't tie into the story as much as the above examples do.
Elridge

Post by Elridge »

Well, I live in Argentina and we speak Spanish here.
Hugo, Cris and "Geddoe" are very, very common names here. Since Japanese and Spanish have almost equal phonetics, i tend to believe that the correct pronunciation of those names are the spanish ones. (And yes, I know about the katakana writing of the names and, as i know a little japanese, i think it kinda supports my theory).

Hugo should be something like "Oogo" (With the last "o" like the "o" in "forgive", not like the "o" in "goal")

Cris should be like the "Cris" in "Cristal", or like the English "Chris". (Not a difficult one, huh?)

And Geddoe (It's written "Guido" in spanish. Check the katakana and it's more like it, dont you think?). It's a bit more complex to the english phonetics.
Think of it like the "Gui" of "Guitar" and the "Do" of "Donuts".

If you want, i can try to record myself and upload it somewhere...
Last edited by Elridge on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.