Who to pick as flame champion

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
knight85

Who to pick as flame champion

Post by knight85 »

title says it all.

i'm a ways off the point where i have to pick a flame champion but it's a tossup between geddoe and hugo.

in terms of fire and lightning hugo is equal,

but geddoe is 1 level better with lightning than he is with fire.

so it's a but of a decision.

one that i need to make before the end of geddoe's chapter so i can plan his skills properly

any suggestions?
wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: Who to pick as flame champion

Post by wataru14 »

I go with Hugo since he makes the most sense to me story-wise. Although Geddoe is a particularly badass Flame Champion and has some rockin speeches.

In terms of mechanics, Geddoe is better with better with both True Runes. Hugo has only a B affinity with both while Geddoe is a B+ in Fire and an A in Lightning.
To be perfectly honest, I much prefer Lightning over Fire any day. The spells are stronger and they have no chance to fry your own party. Yes, they hit all targets, but that is unnecessary in most fights. Geddoe can easily reach S rank in Lightning with a Wizard Hat and one Lightning Magic Ring, but would require 2 rings to get there with Fire. Hugo would require 3 rings to get to S in either. Hugo is also much better suited as a fighter with his high speed and A ranks in Swing and Heavy Damage.

I say make Hugo your Flame Champion but don't bother using the Rune. Spec him out as a fighter and let Geddoe destroy things with Lightning Magic.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

I must warn you that you can not access Zexen council without Chris.
I personally always prefer Chris as FC now
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
knight85

Post by knight85 »

given what happens with fire magic in this game i'd probably stick to the true fire rune's single target spells no matter what
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Fire magic is good for killing those harmonians once they start showing up in the game
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

it would be a good idea just to save at this decision point so you can play the 3 different paths.

Chris has an extra scene that you will only witness if she is the FC, so i strongly recommend choosing her if you're only playing it once.

Geddoe is your best Fire mage out of the 3, but then again he is best-suited for True Lightning (considering in many cases, Fire spells have that risk of blowing up your party).

Hugo is the closest thing to the official FC. While he would have to use up a lot of equipment slots to bring his Fire magic to S, he can still be a super-attack tank when mounted on Fubar.
Pokerface

Post by Pokerface »

Hugo was always my first Choice as the Flame Champion since Chris has her own connection with the True Water Rune and Geddoe already has his True Lightning Rune. But I think in my next playthrough I will pick Geddoe as my Flame Champion... just to see how it feels. If it feels right, then he will remain the Flame Champion.. if not... well load game and pick another candidate heheheh :)
Mess with the best, die like the rest!
http://www.suikoden3.de
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Hugo is the canon. And gameplay wise it's better to choose Hugo again. But if you want to see alternative dialogues and such, choose the other two.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Me! Pick me!