If S3 PAL version becomes available could i play it on my PS2 console?

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

If S3 PAL version becomes available could i play it on my PS2 console?

Post by Sasarai10 »

I want to finish this game with a S2 data (including S1's data) for once...but damn it'd b really disappointin if i won't be able to play it on PS2!!!
Antimatzist

Re: If S3 PAL version becomes available could i play it on my PS2 console?

Post by Antimatzist »

How do you plan on playing a downloadable title (if it comes) on a PS2?

So no, you cannot play it on PS2, only on PS3.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Antimatzist wrote:How do you plan on playing a downloadable title (if it comes) on a PS2?

So no, you cannot play it on PS2, only on PS3.
if that's so,then how can i upload a S2 save file there?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

By buying the PSN Suikoden II version But I don't know if this save state transfer is even possible.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

man if that's true then that sucks....i've been waitin for the moment to play S3 on its fullest,and now i can't? awwww :(
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

How did you play S3 before? you could wait and see if it comes out on PSN and if so, buy yourself a PS3 for as cheap as you can find it and download them all and use it as a Suikoden station. And blu-ray player. Come to think of it, there are probably lots of other old school RPGs available on the PS store that you might be interested in. And with downloads you don't have to worry about scratching your old disks up any more.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

There's a hardware utility you can get for reading older memory cards and transferring saves to the PS3. However, since Suikoden 3 had dodgier requirements, I'm guessing you'd have to do the transfer of the S2 save from a PS1 card to a PS2 card via a real PS2. I don't know if the virtual cards on the PS3 will allow that particular transfer. The other issue is that the PS3 emulator creates a memory card for each game, so at best you'd have to play Suikoden 3 at least once to get it to create a card for it, and then try to transfer in the S2 save.

This isn't really a use case that Sony had in mind. There might be all of a dozen games that recognize saves from other games, and maybe 3 tops that recognize saves from an earlier console.

If you're playing the earlier games on an emulator, add about 20 steps to the process, or just pray that Sony lets them unlock all the transfer-only content at least.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:How did you play S3 before? you could wait and see if it comes out on PSN and if so, buy yourself a PS3 for as cheap as you can find it and download them all and use it as a Suikoden station. And blu-ray player. Come to think of it, there are probably lots of other old school RPGs available on the PS store that you might be interested in. And with downloads you don't have to worry about scratching your old disks up any more.
i have no idea honestly. despite the fact i'm in a PAL-region,i could play S3 AND S2's American version as well. They weren't original though,just copies. Although when i used 2 play it,i've had another TV set...maybe it won't work in my current one.
Pyriel wrote:There's a hardware utility you can get for reading older memory cards and transferring saves to the PS3. However, since Suikoden 3 had dodgier requirements, I'm guessing you'd have to do the transfer of the S2 save from a PS1 card to a PS2 card via a real PS2. I don't know if the virtual cards on the PS3 will allow that particular transfer. The other issue is that the PS3 emulator creates a memory card for each game, so at best you'd have to play Suikoden 3 at least once to get it to create a card for it, and then try to transfer in the S2 save.

This isn't really a use case that Sony had in mind. There might be all of a dozen games that recognize saves from other games, and maybe 3 tops that recognize saves from an earlier console.

If you're playing the earlier games on an emulator, add about 20 steps to the process, or just pray that Sony lets them unlock all the transfer-only content at least.
I play them on a PS2 console. But this would be an issue,that Konami should consider...many people'll have difficulties doing the transfer-save thing.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

The only way to play Suikoden III with data transfer on a PS3 is to first load the data on a PS2, save at earliest oppertunity, transfer that save to the PS3 and then continue playing there.

Without changing the code, which isn't allowed, there's nothing Konami can do about it since Suikoden III looks for a PS1 save on a PS2 memory card, a setup that isn't recognized by the PS3.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

oh well i see.....thanks though
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

luckily, there isn't too much that you lose by not having the old save file data. With it, a few characters get to start off with slightly higher levels than normal, and you gain a pair of scripts for the theatre productions, and the history books use your personalized character names for the suikoden 1 and 2's heroes. There is no additional plot bonuses or special lines in the game for importing data. The character bonuses are nice, but all the characters that have access to them you can max out to level 99 with the Chris trick anyway.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I couldn't use my PAL S2 data with my dodgy copy of S3, but I wasn't too bothered about it. It's not as good as the stuff you get with the S1 & 2 or S4 & Tactics data transfers. I'm sure you can just watch the plays on youtube.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Yeah, assuming they just repackage the US version for the European region (and let's face it, they'll almost certainly have to), it's not going to recognize your PAL saves. The US save identifier is BASLUS+whatever serial number, and the PAL versions will use BASLES+different serial numbers. Even if the memory cards allowed you to move the saves around, you'd hit a wall there going between PSN versions of the games.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

oh well...you know i have this "perfectionist" thing,and the fact i cannot get those extra scripts really bugs me :lol: