Characters ignoring directions and boss treasure/respawning

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
LucMcDohl

Characters ignoring directions and boss treasure/respawning

Post by LucMcDohl »

I'm used to characters sometimes sluffing on attacking but lately I'm seeing weird stuff like Ace and Joker not uniting like I told them to or Jacques not using his Boronda Hawk rune. The only difference here is I haven't pumped up their skills very much since I'm still toying with the idea of turning them into mages for war battles (Jacques is basically a lost cause unless I farm Mother Earth Runes and Ace is probably also better off physically attacking since he has fairly decent burst AoE anyhow). Is it possible that one of these skills doubles as obedience/following directions? Accuracy logically makes the most sense for that but I have only leveled up Swing for Ace and Damage for Jacques thus far so it could be any of them that dictate this.

And I'm having trouble getting the Rock Golem to respawn in Chapter 1; I've only fought it once and it seems to take much longer than other treasure bosses (which I feel like I've read 20 minutes and 30 minutes in two separate places and I'm uncertain which is correct). I've fought the Blue Mantrik several times and acquired a few Earth Magic Rings in the process but... really those are garbage without Mother Earth Runes and ultimately Earth Runes are useless since the final boss is immune to Earthquake (but given the portability of this game and my obscene amount of spare time, I will probably go the extra mile and do the farming necessary to go hardcore with everyone). But more importantly, I want to get all of the Lightning Magic Rings that I can get; thus far, I have zero. I can't find specifically in which chapter they are obtained but I have read that they come from the Rock Golem boss at Mountain Path so I'm here in chapter 1 trying to fight it and it has shown up once.

Also, I'm not quite clear on the properties of the treasure... if I reload a file right before fighting the treasure boss, will I get different stuff?

Fun side note, I was able to turn Ace into a DiscountWizard instead of a DiscountFighter (I of course didn't let that stick since his second swing makes random battles go much faster ...when the unite attack triggers like I tell it to, but I'll try it out when I get closer).

Oh, one more thing while I'm here. I have a file in chapter 3 which I have now abandoned since I can't unlearn some maxed skills for Queen. On my current chapter 1 file, I can unlearn those same skills just fine... what's the difference here?
gildedtalon

Re: Characters ignoring directions and boss treasure/respawn

Post by gildedtalon »

40 minutes is the fastest a treasure boss can respawn
Emptying the treasure chest is a must, it's gonna take longer to respawn the boss if you don't take everything from the treasure chest

A new type of treasure boss is set to spawn on chapter 2. Maybe coz that boss is part of the story, it won't respawn
Rock Golem probably won't spawn on chapter 1, he is set to spawn on chapter 2

Yes if you reload, you can get different stuff

Some skills actually become fixed and you must learn it
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
LucMcDohl

Post by LucMcDohl »

Really? The Mt. Hei-Tou boss seems to respawn muuuuuuch faster than that. And yes, I've been emptying them all.

I have now fought the Rock Golem twice in Chapter 1 and once in Chapter 2 and got three Lightning Magic Rings from it.

I also got two Earth Magic Rings, a Killer Rune, and a Double Strike Rune from the Blue Mantrik on Mt. Hei-Tou but... I think I'm more enthused about the Lightning Rings. At the very least, I want to power up Edge, Elaine, and my True Lightning bearer (which... let's be honest, I'm probably going for the generic Hugo FC this time) since they are the three that would benefit most from using magic over physical attacks in the war battles. And depending on how motivated I get, Mother Earth Runes will accompany those Earth Magic Rings for anyone who could be casting that and I'll be getting a number of Fire Rings as well. It's a shame there's no Pale Gate Ring or Shield Ring or multiple Wind Rings.

I guess I'm just confused by the whole skills becoming locked thing... like I'm able to unlearn them initially (you can make Geddoe forget Freeze, for instance, when he learns it if you haven't leveled it up) but what makes some skills permanent and others forgettable even after they're maxed out?

Also, taking out the Rock Golem with solo Geddoe and gaining eight levels in one fight was pretty neat.

And while Queen's attack is lackluster due to her one free rune slot, I'm not sure if I should gimp her further by not leveling up any of her abilities; you can't get Swing or Heavy Damage maxed out without her turning back into a StormCmdr. and if I try to do both she turns back into a plain Knight. I wonder if she'd forget her windy roots and never make use of her MP if war battles if I do that...

Again, that's a ways off.
LucMcDohl

Post by LucMcDohl »

Still pretty unclear on why certain characters are straight up ignoring what I tell them to do though...
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i've never seen characters ignore unite attack commands unless one of the partners was disabled (KO/unbalanced/sleep...) before it executed. i've also never seen any character ignore the rune command.

how are you able to forget Geddoe's Freeze skill??? that shouldn't be the case, as it's a permanent skill as well as a unique one that is only received from reaching a certain level (35 for Geddoe). I don't understand "when he learns it if you haven't leveled it up".

Generic permanent skills are on the character when you get them, and *unique* permanent skills will only appear when a character reaches a certain level.
LucMcDohl

Post by LucMcDohl »

Yeah they've all been in good standing every time I try to do it and they still fail at random. I wish there was a way to test it without being so time-consuming... it's pretty arbitrary anyway since the average person is going to pump their skills and that solves the issue.

I guess the best way to try it out is to see if I can get any other unites to fail ...though I really can't think of any that I'll have around to test. ...actually, I have no idea who my endgame party is going to be this time around so maybe I'll just cycle through randos and see what happens. I really do think it's Accuracy that's responsible for it.

And I was pretty dumbfounded by that myself too. If I max it out, I can't forget Geddoe's Freeze but if I just leave it at an E rank, I can take it off. Honestly, I'm considering it since he's not going to do a whole hell of a lot of physical attacking with an S rank in Lightning Magic and that Freeze skill really doesn't kick in as much as it should. But... what else is going to go in that slot? Probably nothing all that special.