Who to Give Which Characters to in chapters 1-3

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
gildedtalon

Re: Who to Give Which Characters to in chapters 1-3

Post by gildedtalon »

Yes, you can avoid them as long as you want
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
knight85

Post by knight85 »

got it thanks.

i'll try that when i've finished suikoden 2

now i just need to decide who i'm gonna give wan fu and emily to
knight85

Post by knight85 »

ok guys i've been going over the beastiary for this game thouroughly and found that chapter 3 with hugo is my best shot at getting fury runes.

so i need to alter my plan for treasure hunter recruitment.

there are 4 characters with the treasure hunter ability. arthhur, elliott, guilame and kidd.

originally i had planed to give kidd to chris for hunting rage runes, but after going over the beastiary i realise hugo needs that extra 10 percent more to get a few fury runes.

so here's what i'm thinking.

hugo gets kidd and guilame
chris gets elliot, along with melville and alanis (i'd just give chris kuroku but it takes too long for the dog to get the find treasure ability
and geddoe gets arthur
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Sorry for the necro, but based on the storylines in each chapter, what type characters do Hugo, Chris, Geddoe, and Thomas actually need? For example, do Hugo and Chris need mages or do Geddoe and Thomas need fighters?
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
knight85

Post by knight85 »

me personally i think that hugo needs at least 1 extra support mage to work with sgt joe. for the number 6 slot (if you dont have to use mua in the flame champion's hideaway) it's kind of up in the air.

for chris. she need's mages and fighters. estella is perfect as an attack mage for her. she also needs a support mage, rico seems like he would fit the bill. and for a fighter i would use emily

in the early stages of chapter 3 for hugo i'm not sure who to get. it's a toss up between belle and gadget Z, the saint loa knights and the performers from zexen.

i already know that melville is no good. alanis has potential as a mage but until the later levels she's only useful for support.

and i've yet to take the performers and belle for a spin.

in the late stages of chris 2 and early stages of chris 3 i have mel and the ninjas for backup.

as for geddoe. getting any battle party members other than edge is redundant since his party is mostly locked for the whole of his story. so the only characters u should get with him mare supports. but i would advise getting a character with the rune sage skill to help with magic (i get mike to save chris the hassle. leaving jeane for chris)

for thomas. he needs 2 battle members for a full party i take twaikin and recently i took kuroku, but next time i might take the saint loa knights and augustine.

but one thing i was working on in my current playthru (i'm taking a break at the moment) was making sure all 3 heroes had a support member with treasure hunt so i could try for some rage runes so a good idea is to divide up the support characters with treasure hunt amongst the chapters
Toasticles

Post by Toasticles »

knight85 wrote:i already know that melville is no good.
What?!
Melville is one of my hardest hitters. Granted Hugo and Juan tend to obliterate the enemies before he has a chance to go off but when he does get the chance to attack he can do a staggering amount of damage.

I'm sure there are others who are better than him but I feel like he fits well with Hugo because of their history in his Chapter 1.

I suppose I've never really cared if my team was perfectly balanced either though because the fights never were so challenging that I needed to have the perfect party.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Toasticles wrote:I'm sure there are others who are better than him but I feel like he fits well with Hugo because of their history in his Chapter 1.
You can skip their history lesson in Chapter 1 :D
Algus

Post by Algus »

So Shabon has a really fun unite attack with Joe that you can make decent use of in Hugo 3 but when I go for the Performers, I usually only use Nei. Her rune is useful for both Hugo and Chris IMO. If I have luck getting my S statue for Billy, I like to get Melville et al. in Hugo even though it requires hoop jumping. Otherwise I just get Nei. Hugo/Fubar should be absolutely brutal by Hugo 3 so you don't really need anyone with him. You could easily 3-man the chapter with Joe healing Hugo/Fubar.

I've traditionally picked up Mel with Thomas but lately I have been thinking, Thomas really only has one really weak treasure boss that Piccolo can just clobber so I'd rather save Mel for Chris 3. That Turtle Tunic is really helpful to slap on Juan though...

I always recruit my shopkeepers with Geddoe.

I think I'm going to try and get Alanis on Chris in my current playthrough. She seems like she could be pretty helpful during some of the annoying parts of that chapter.

Chris 3 is the only one where things get turned on a head since you lose most of the other characters you've been working on and Chris can't use most of the gear you've collected for her up to that point. I always thought she needed the most help. Fortunately she can get the ninjas so just don't go crazy grabbing all the combat party members in Thomas 1
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Thomas has 2 treasure bosses
Mt. Hei-tou
North Cavern
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

The Shabon + Joe combo in early chapters is my favorite combination. Doesn't Thomas run away from the Mt. Hei-Tou crab? I am not sure if he is ever allowed to battle it in his personal chapters.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

KFCrispy wrote:Doesn't Thomas run away from the Mt. Hei-Tou crab? I am not sure if he is ever allowed to battle it in his personal chapters.
You're right, I totally forgot about that.