Water Dragon boss strategies

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Water Dragon boss strategies

Post by KFCrispy »

Sasarai10 wrote:you cannot beat up the ice dragon (probably the most difficult suikoden ever) from S3,in one turn whilst your characters are level 55 or so... :)
Punkaiser wrote:You wanna see me do that? I will need just 3 party members plus Chris as FC to destroy the dragon and all the shards.
If the goal is to kill only the dragon, then I would need just Chris as FC plus 2 other members.
not sure this would be difficult with a full party or possibly 4-5 characters. Nei (Jeane as support allows it to activate faster) and 2 powerful attacks should do the job, or just 3 good attacks, especially if the characters are level 55 - almost all rune slots for all characters will be open by then.

I think the only limit is what runes you want to allow in the setup.
Fury: Of course you can farm for Fury Runes (Hugo chapter 2 and anytime in Mt. Hei-Tou).
Double-Strike: It was possible for Hugo to farm Double-Strike Runes from the Shadow Dog area boss early but I'm sure it would be tough to farm from such an infrequent enemy, but you can get it as a random item from the Mt. Hei-Tou treasure boss if you spend time on it (nice treasure here--Earth Magic Ring, Taikyoku Tunic, Double-Strike Rune, some antique).
Warrior: It's possibly a drop from Nemesis in Mt. Senai, and Geddoe has access to it in Chapters 2-3. You might have access to it in Chapter 4 before heading to Water Dragon.

So assuming you get enough of these runes, you're all set.

The Water Dragon has 9000 HP, Ice Pillars have 2500 HP. do you want to take out all targets or just the Water Dragon?
-A Mounted unite from Joe and Shabon can probably take out the Ice Pillars, and if it doesn't, using Jongleur would definitely boost it high enough
-The Condemnation unite with Landis and Ayame just need Double-Strikes on each.
-Augustine alone can deal high damage with Red Rose but I don't think he can boost his swing to S (you might have just 1 White Rose Brooch, but it's supposedly a rare item in Caleria in chapter 4-5).
-Mel's damage range is extremely random but she can also do crazy damage with Devil's Doll
-The Child Unite with Melville and Alanis is also very powerful thanks to their 5 free rune slots.
Jeane as support makes Jongleur activate before all or most of these attacks.

You will have access to Jefferson and all or most of the Medals for some nice appointments if necessary.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Water Dragon boss strategies

Post by Sasarai10 »

Personaly,i always used a lightning mage (like Edge) to take out the ice pillars,and Hugo's (as FC) explosion,,,because the last spell is to dangerous.

Then i was trying my best to kill the ice dragon with either physical damage,or magic spells like final flame,furious blow,etc....
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

..I was being too obvious with my statement but you don't have to spoil the fun, KFC :(
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

really the only thing limiting your ability to do this is how much time you want to spend grinding. You can get all the runes, levels, and equipment you'd need to do this pretty easily, it just takes a lot of time.

one interesting way to to do it would be to only use magic, no physical attacks at all, but I'm not sure how hard that would be, let's see...

Since the water dragon and shards are weak against fire, you could exploit that and just do Geddoe as flame champion with Wizard, Wizard, and True Fire, casting Hellfire, which should knock out all the shards; Estella with Wizard, Wizard, and Rage casting Final Flame; and Lucia also with Wizard, Wizard, and Rage casting Final Flame. The only items you really need to farm for this are 3 fire rings to get everyone to an S rank in fire magic. Technically you also need to farm the wizard runes, but as rarities goes, they're pretty easy to acquire from multiple places. That should be enough damage to knock out the water dragon in one turn, and it only uses 3 characters for damage, though you may want to put in a fourth character in as a tank for damage preferably with high MDF, such as Landis, Roland, Ruby, or Twaikin, and make sure you have Ernie in support.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

double wizards? they stack?
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

as far as i remember, No. Can't recall if there exists any rune which can stack with itself in suikodens.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

actually they do, as do warrior runes in Suikoden 3. the first one you equip cuts your mdf by half and adds it to your mag, and then the second one takes the remainder half, and cuts that in half again. adding a second one just doesn't usually make a whole lot of sense, since the value added is so low, and it would really deplete your defensive capabilities. I'm not even entirely sure you'd need to do it to get the 9000 damage needed to kill the water dragon. Certainly it doesn't add that much to Geddoe who only has an average mdf. Lucia and Estella get a much bigger boost from doing it.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Here's the video. I bring the whole pack along to avoid having to return and change party but each time, only 3 characters were commanded while the others defend.

Water Dragon Boss - 3 characters destroy everything in one turn

First team: shabon+joe unite hit all then Mel finish the boss off.
Second team: Nei chants madness song then shabon and joe wipe out everything.

note: Using my old save which I don't have Warrior rune for Shabon yet.

Also tried the same tactic I used versus Windri here for Mel and Shabon:
Defeat Final Boss with 2 attacks
but the water dragon seems to be further to reach so Mel can't hit him in the first turn.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

like I said, it's not really a challenge when you spam all the damage enhancing runes.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Punkaiser wrote:Here's the video. I bring the whole pack along to avoid having to return and change party but each time, only 3 characters were commanded while the others defend.

Water Dragon Boss - 3 characters destroy everything in one turn

WHAT????? The most difficult boss looks like a joke...simply wonderful!

eldrasidar wrote:like I said, it's not really a challenge when you spam all the damage enhancing runes.

Yeah...a real challenge could be using ONLY the non-optional characters without recruiting anybody else,and without equiping any extra runes...that would be a real challenge,especially in Sarah's last battle in Ceremonial Site,and that Water Dragon of course
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

you can't do it in 1 round, but Hugo on Fubar and spamming items/scrolls will breeze through any boss with patience. i did it vs Water Dragon when trying to see if it would given a level boost, but the Water Dragon's level isn't high enough to be useful. soloing would be the absolute challenge.
Pesmerga VS. Yuber

Post by Pesmerga VS. Yuber »

It would be really easy to solo with the Pale Moon Set. It makes the game a breeze. Punkraiser did a solo battle vs the final boss, and if he could do that, it's easy to say you could do with anything else.
Power?
Am I looking for Power?
Ever since...The first day I saw you...
I somehow knew...That we would be friends.
I was never lonely...Because you were there.
We chose...Life and death together.
I believed in you...Always...
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the Water Dragon might be more difficult to solo vs the RIncar because of the physical damage threat coming from the 6 Pillars. Punkaiser used, Chris whoI believe has the best chances to solo these tough enemies. but if you can boost physical defense high enough for any character, it's probably not a tough battle, just long depending on the character's offense.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

KFCrispy wrote:the Water Dragon might be more difficult to solo vs the RIncar because of the physical damage threat coming from the 6 Pillars. Punkaiser used, Chris whoI believe has the best chances to solo these tough enemies. but if you can boost physical defense high enough for any character, it's probably not a tough battle, just long depending on the character's offense.
I think Chris has no free rune slots...her 2nd slot will open after you gain the True Water/True Fire Rune.

I think Hugo has 2 free rune slots and multiple swings (4-5???),so it would be easier to solo with Hugo.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

Chris has 1 free rune slot that opens up before you get her true rune, but once she has a true, that slot is filled up by it. She has the best base physical offense, but no real way to make it stronger, and her magic is horrendous, so offensively, she's going to probably take the longest to win, but that's okay because she has significantly superior armor and magic defense compared to Hugo or Geddoe, so she can survive longer. Getting her up to level 99 doesn't hurt either.

Hugo has two free rune slots, however, with one of those being filled up by a true rune, he really only has one. He has some solid offensive skills and can add a single damage enhancing rune, which can put him above Chris in terms of physical damage. He can become good at magic if you to unlike Chris, but his already low defense will suffer for it. His defense frailty can be what does him in, since if he doesn't repel an attack, he'll probably take substantially more damage than chris or geddoe would, and of course, you can't dodge magic, so he can get pretty beat up by a lot of the game's bosses. With only a single damage adding rune equipped, he can only do so much damage, even with the occasional critical and continuous attack, which might not be enough to keep him alive. I think without being mounted on Fubar, Hugo would have the hardest time of it.

Geddoe has 2 free slots, in addition to his true rune, so he can boost his physical offense more than Hugo or Chris. Geddoe also is the most solid in magic, meaning he can best use the True Fire Rune to get through certain things. For example, Geddoe could hellfire, killing all the shards and damaging the water dragon in a single turn, whilst using physical attacks you'd have to spend one turn killing a shard, before you could move on to the water dragon. Geddoe also has better defense than Hugo, so he can live longer, and attack for more damage thanks to having two free rune slots.

yeah, the pale moon set does make it pretty easy to solo though. good thing it's not an easy set to fully obtain, oh wait, it is.