Suikoden III Character Tiers

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Suikoden III Character Tiers

Post by Sasarai10 »

Aerolithe Lion wrote:I agree with your outlook, Sasarai. I can never bring myself to use the musicians or characters dressed in clowny clothing. Although I have been warming to using younger characters lately, the Sharons, Wakabas, and Luns.

I do also suffer from the opposite issue, I will gladly take a character I'm thrilled about than a proven superior. I'll take Percival, Jeremy, Bob, and Genshu over Joker, Kiki, Killey, and Sheena any day of the week.

Bob* and Genshu were in my party when i was fighting the Beast Rune!!! Bob especialy is the best physical damage dealer in the game in his Beast form,imo.

Personaly i like using characters that i like,not these who are "proven good" like Sheena,since i disliked Sheena because of his personality. I have a preference in mages btw....i tend to use more magic than physical attacks.

*Off topic,but is it my idea that Bob was inspired by Bob Marley? Dreadlocks,same name,dark skin... :roll:

But making "Bob Marley" a werewolf? :lol:
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

Sadly in Suikoden 3, Mages are thoroughly under powered compared to fighters when dealing against singular foes. I remember running the numbers once, and the most powerful mage casting the most powerful spell(Hammer of Radjin), can only hope to about do 3000 damage on their own, assuming no magic resistance, which is a rarity. To do more damage, a mage either needs to wait one turn for Battlefield to be cast, or 4 turns to pass for alert to go into effect. Meanwhile, the top ten most physically damaging characters can all get over 5000 damage without from the very first turn, only using equipment, runes, and skills.

Now mages can obviously hit multiple targets so yes there damage can often hit as many as 9 targets, which is thoroughly impressive, albeit silly overkill for those situations. The most damage that can be done in this case would be about 2700(with Hellfire) per target though. This can be easily replicated by some unites though, and practically speaking, a few characters just using special attack runes can make fairly similar amounts damage(not quite as high as 2700 at the base, but with magic resistance being often higher than physical resistance, the damage may come out the same)
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

Yes, but this is for the people who sit and grind out 20 fury runes during Hugo's chapter two, stuff like that. One a normal playthrough, mages are pretty solid
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Augustine, Ayame, Landis, Juan, Emily, Sanae, Sharon don't need fury rune to surpass the magicians, just one double strike rune and thier superior rune/unite are more than enough.

What put mages in a worse situation in comparision to physical attacks is the jongleur rune which cause an average warrior inflict more damage than the strongest mage, and the rune doesnt have to wait until the next turn for the effect to kick in.
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

I agree, it's no surprise we haven't seen it since. It reminds me very much of the calculator in Final Fantasy Tactics (Obviously it's more literally like a bard, but as far as breaking the games). Two things I delibrately avoid when playing these games
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

Jongleur rune can still be used without being a game breaker, just put it on someone less suitable to add a little bit of challenge.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Aerolithe Lion wrote:Yes, but this is for the people who sit and grind out 20 fury runes during Hugo's chapter two, stuff like that. One a normal playthrough, mages are pretty solid

That's what i'm saying.
I don't care if i finish the battle in 1,2,3 or 53 turns...i just wish to finish it.

And i cannot understand what's the point of finishing all battles in 1 turn anyway??
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

When we fight, strategy speaking, most of the time the goal is to win ASAP so the casualities or the need of provision could be reduced.

I'm fine with whatever you guys think is cool or uncool but as this is a character ranking topic, let me ask you back then, What criteria should we employ to rank them?
Based on their height or weight? Or their beauty? Or if their background is interesting or not?

Or am I the only one who misundertand that characters ranking wasn't about battle performance but more of a beauty contest?

If it really was about ranking in battles, Sasarai, an order is needed, finish the battle in 1 turn is better than 2 turns and way better than 53 turns.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Punkaiser wrote:When we fight, strategy speaking, most of the time the goal is to win ASAP so the casualities or the need of provision could be reduced.

I'm fine with whatever you guys think is cool or uncool but as this is a character ranking topic, let me ask you back then, What criteria should we employ to rank them?
Based on their height or weight? Or their beauty? Or if their background is interesting or not?

Or am I the only one who misundertand that characters ranking wasn't about battle performance but more of a beauty contest?

If it really was about ranking in battles, Sasarai, an order is needed, finish the battle in 1 turn is better than 2 turns and way better than 53 turns.

Look if we are speaking about characters ranking then yes you are right...characters ranking is based on stats.

But what i'm saying is,that PERSONALY i don't care if i won't finish the battle in 1 turn. I just want to use the characters that i like most...is this bad? :?

For example in the last boss,i like using the 4 True Rune bearers all together.....and the battle is easy for me,since i'm using the best spells,although it lasts 10-12 turns or so.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

i'm not judging you for what you like or dislike, don't feel upset. Just trying to remind you of the topic we're in.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

Sasarai10 wrote:
Look if we are speaking about characters ranking then yes you are right...characters ranking is based on stats.

that is exactly what this thread is for.

edit:

that being said, the stats that are the most important may not be universal. When we do tiers for mages, for example, there could be different set of tiers for offensive mages versus support mages. One could even do a third tier for multipurpose mages who can do both support and offense equally well, or a tier for characters that are mage knights
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

might work best to focus on one role at a time and place the characters, then you can take that info and see who can play multiple roles at once effectively for some kind of bonus/advantage over equal characters within that primary role. but honestly i am tired of seeing these discussions and prefer to see topics that focus on interesting characters and how they can be setup and work with their unite or themed partners. what prevents me from completing my own article about this is trying to figure out what to write for one-dimensional and extremely average characters! we already have topics/articles dedicated to some of the characters i found most interesting to configure--Shabon, Lucia, Mel, Alanis, mounted pairs.....
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

What forum would you recommend putting that in?

Doesn't seem to be a good spot for it outside of 'General Suikoden'
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

gameplay discussions for this specific game are welcome in this Suikoden IIII Gameplay forum! we already have Character Discussion topics here; you can do a search on the topic title to get a bunch of them.

if you're going to work on tiers for this game keep it here of course
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

KFCrispy wrote:gameplay discussions for this specific game are welcome in this Suikoden IIII Gameplay forum! we already have Character Discussion topics here; you can do a search on the topic title to get a bunch of them.

if you're going to work on tiers for this game keep it here of course
This may be due to my complete idiocy, but I'm only finding the forum for asking questions specific to Suikoden III. "If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum." This place?