Ace

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Ace

Post by Sasarai10 »

When I play as Geddoe,with his classic battle line-up,and use Joker's fire magic attacks,Ace gets damaged very often by Joker's fire magic whilst the other members gets damaged rarely...

What's wrong with that?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Ace

Post by KFCrispy »

nobody knows what mechanics, if any, are involved in determining if characters get damaged by ally spells. some think it could be how much MOV the character has. most people just try to avoid the situation by boosting Joker's fire magic skill to the max and casting area spells only on the first round, when it can be done before the physical attackers run up to the enemies.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

maxing holy dash definitely works for me to avoid those fire spells. I've tested it in 3 playthroughs
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

it doesn't exactly make sense because the Precision skill suggests that there's a %-based chance to escape friendly fire. of course there can be multiple factors, like first the game can check how much MOV is available and if there isn't enough it can use a chance-based calculation to see if the character can escape.

i've seen plenty of times where a character hasn't moved at all yet but is still hit by friendly fire.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

KFCrispy wrote:i've seen plenty of times where a character hasn't moved at all yet but is still hit by friendly fire.
I know this, but you will see maxing Holy Dash definitely helps.
You will see them run really fast to avoid the spell AOE(area of effect) in my game at least :(
I could be wrong, almost a year since I last played this game
Oliopro

Post by Oliopro »

Resing an old topic and sorry. Gildedtalon, your theory that holy dash would increase the likely hood of getting out of the way of a fire spell would be easy to check. Get a party with a fire mage and an melee attacker with maxed holy dash. Save at the save point on Mt Path before the treasure boss (or save state if you're using an emulator) making sure you have either juan in your party or a character support character with tutor or jefferson. Start a battle and let the melee fighter run in then cast the fire spell on the next turn and see if he gets out of the way. Reload (or load state), rinse and repeat saaaaaaaaay, 20 times? Then on the next reload (load state), forget holy dash, save (state) again and try again another 20 times.

After this compare totals. If there is a clear difference (probably looking at least 4-5 more dodges with holy dash at these low numbers) you can say you're right. I might give this a shot in the near future to see if you're right, it would make the skill a little more useful than it is right now.

Edit: You'd probably want the character with Holy Dash to have a max rank of A or higher.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

I've already deleted all my savefiles sometime last year. It works on all my playthroughs where I max holy dash for characters I want to use. Go ahead and try, I'm not sure if my disc still works. Also, there's nothing to motivate me to replay this game again. I still remember the whole story/plot in this game
I even play this game the whole year on 2011

I remember last time I played, the game gets stuck on mt. senai loading screen. I only ever play the game on emulator since then, which is incredibly slow compared to if I play it on PS2
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Yes, maxing Holy Dash totally works, I haven't got the Explosion spell though

Already got Aila to join

My priority now is maxing Holy Dash, then swing, and then magic spell/whatever

Holy Dash is maxed, fought the Peckles, everyone surrounded the Peckles in melee range, Blazing Wall comes, everyone steps back and perform the guard animation. No one gets hit, only the Peckles :mrgreen:

Okay, the Holy Dash works everytime to avoid those fire spells, now Oliopro, you only need to try it for yourself to believe it. Holy Dash at B rank is enough to avoid those fire spells every single time :) Most of the time, C is enough. I think C is where you can start to avoid those fire spells

it failed against Twin Snake, Queen died lol :x
Oliopro

Post by Oliopro »

Oh it sounds completely reasonable to me and it's on my list of things that I'm looking into. I think what is more likely is that the character's move stat determines the chance that they can get out of the way and holy dash increases that.

There are other related questions too. Are different spells harder/easier to get away from, does the casters skill level in that type of spell make it easier to get out and does the distance away from the edge of the spell determine the difficulty of getting out of the way.

I'm working on something else at the moment but when I'm done with that I'm going to make a party with Hugo (my FC), Cecile, Kenji, Shabon, Leo (To compare to low move) and Rody (caster with easy to manipulate Fire skill and with the best precision apart from Sarah and Luc). I picked Cecile, Kenji and Shabon because they all have a Holy Dash of A or higher and they are all melee.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

This is definitely something with a lot of variables to check.

1: does skill level with the magic in question(water or fire) matter?
2: does the distance required to move to dodge matter?
3: If Holy Dash does help, it is helping by increasing a character's MOV stat, what is the MOV stat then that helps?

Character's you'd probably want to test with:
Kenji: One of the two S's in Holy Dash, and has a slightly faster base MOV than Ayame, the other S in Holy Dash. Kenji is so naturally fast, he may not need any ranks in Holy dash in order to dodge spells.
Rico: The slowest character, with the worst natural Holy Dash: If Holy Dash is going to fail to help someone, it will be Rico.
Cecile: Cecile is low on the natural MOV, and wears heavy armor that makes it lower, she also has an A+ in Holy Dash , so she can improve her MOV more than many characters.
Ruby: Ruby has the highest natural MOV, but she is bigger, and so she may not dodge as much as Kenji.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

I only get hit coz it was Explosion and Queen doesn't want to move

Explosion has such a huge AOE
Oliopro

Post by Oliopro »

I wouldn't test it with Ayame/Watari/Nash at all as they have use darts which means that it's a little more annoying to get them into the range of the spell. Using Rico is a great idea though I will definitely add her to the group.

Upon further consideration the group will be Hugo (FC), Kenji (High Speed, Low Weight Wp/Arm, S HolyD), Cecile (Heavy Wp/Arm, A+ HolyD), Rico (Slllllooooooowww), Rody (Flexible caster and best Prec before Ch 6), Juan (Fast, Low Weight Wp/Arm, Trainer) and Ernie (Tutor) in support. With Juan and Ernie I can make any changes to the skills without having to go back to town between saves so there is a minimal difference between fights. Also (As I'm using an emulator) I'll save state right next to a Treasure Boss so the fights are the same.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

you could use ayame, if you make use of her rune attack, which will bring her right up to her opponent.