was there ever a strat guide for this?

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
kenshindono

was there ever a strat guide for this?

Post by kenshindono »

was there ever a strategy guide printed for this game? I was planning on hunting down the guides for these games just for a quick refrence, and to have my collection more complete. But all i can find online are II, IV, and V. Did they never make one for III? (and I i guess though im asuming they didn't simply because it was so old)
eldrasidar

Re: was there ever a strat guide for this?

Post by eldrasidar »

there was no guide made, although not because it was old(suikoden 2 is older). Brady Games was actually supposed to make one, however konami apparently thought suikoden 3 wasn't expected to be popular enough to be worth making a strategy guide, possibly because suikoden 2 was not well received in the states (although that has much to do with konami's decision to only do a limited release in the states, and also to release it in the same month as Final Fantasy 8, which meant all the publicity got sucked up by squaresoft). given that the suikoden 3 sold less than 200,000 units in the states in it's first year, it was probably a good move not to make a guide.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Yet Suikoden III seems to have got the best response from the critics.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

And it got some sort of award from a magazine for best RPG in that year. Konami always manages to make the stupidest PR decisions.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

getting good reviews means very little. more importantly, a tiny little review isn't all that impressive or useful. for example this is Electronic Gaming Monthly's review(which I happened to have kept in the archival mess of my room):

The third iteration of Suikoden takes some gutsy chances with the series' established formula. As in the previous games, you're still amassing an army of 108 heroes to thwart evil. This time, however, the quest happens concurrently among three totally different main characters. It's a cool concept, as you witness events from multiple vantage points. The gimmick starts to wear thin, though, as you witness the same townsfolk and battle the same wild critters. Thankfully, the plodding introduction eventually ends, giving way to a faster, more engaging gameplay pace. Once you're designing your castle, customizing your battle parties, and pursuing optional side quests, the fun blossoms. Visually, the average graphics don't impress. The people look kinda neat, but the obviously FFX-inspired field and dungeon backgrounds seem blocky and primitive compared to last fall's Square effort. Overall it won't blow you away, but RPG fans who can see beyond the drab look and slow intro will find a rewarding epic. overall score-7.0, visuals-5, sound-7, ingenuity-6, replay-2.

this review took up 1/6 of a page full of reviews, plus there was a 1 page ad a few pages later. in the same reviews section there was a 3 page review for GTA: Vice City(it was the feature as well), a page for LOTR: the fellowship of the ring, a page for ratchet and clank, a page for phantasy star online eps 1&2 and so on. there was even a preview of Starcraft: ghost, and that never even came out. actually, all in all it was a pretty good issue. however, it's not the sort of piece that inspired people to by suikoden 3, in fact, as an rpg player, that issue would have had me leaning towards a gamecube(I actually later bought a gamecube, for several RPG's I wanted to play on it, chiefly Skies of Arcadia Legends, also in this issue). I don't even actually remember reading the suikoden 3 review before getting the game, I only picked up because I had finished final fantasy x, and was looking for something new, and a girl at EBgames suggested it, and it was on sale(ironically, I could now sell it for twice what I paid).

I sorta got of on a tangent here... I think my point was that reviews aren't always important. Word of Mouth is the best advertising, however, if your relying entirely on word of mouth, it will be a long time before you get enough people excited to buy a product to make accessories to the product worth making, which is probably why the manga of suikoden 3 didn't come out until two years laters.

hope y'all enjoyed the story though