Misleading Skill Comment

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
weird_name_lah

Misleading Skill Comment

Post by weird_name_lah »

I just noticed that all the 'false' skill comments by the Bujutsu teachers and tutors are actually referring to skill rank A+. Dunno what happened during the programming, but these are easily missed because we thought it can only reach skill rank C. So, I just made a shortlist from suikosource main site for the A+ rank skills:

Cecile : Damage, Holy Dash, Shield Protect
Juan : Fire
Piccolo : Lightning, Pale Gate
Thomas : Accuracy, Repel, Parry, Wind

Melville : Heavy Damage
Rhett : Swing
Toppo : Magic Resistance

Connie : Water, Pale Gate
Kogoro : Freeze
Koichi : Continual Attack
Kosanji : Adrenaline Power

I missed so many good characters because of this, especially Cecile, Piccolo, Thomas and Rhett. They are no underdogs after all. :wink:

Cecile with Horned Helmet, Windspun Armor and Chaos Shield gets S for Damage, Holy Dash and Shield Protect respectively. Piccolo with LightningMagicRing gets S for Lightning, making him arguably the best Thunder Mage aside from Geddoe (Geddoe because of True Lightning). Mel's magic doesn't compare though she also has S rank, while Estella is about the same as Piccolo with another LightningMagicRing.

Rhett gets max 3 swings and combine it with Fury and Double-Strike, he deals quite a large damage.

Melville with Fury and Killer packs quite a punch.

Hope this helps. :)
Iesous

Re: Misleading Skill Comment

Post by Iesous »

Thanks for the compiling job. I would say that they aren't really false, but rather misleading. I also don't think that it's a programming mistake, but was done on purpose. These skills serve two purposes as I see it. First they illustrate that Thomas, Cecile, Juan, Piccolo, Melville, and the dogs have never had the adequate training to be 'powerful.' (I'm not as sure about Rhett and Toppo.) They have potential, but it's supposed to be very latent. The second purpose was to give gamers a hidden gem. I think that it's a very good thing. S5 didn't do it nearly as well. Everyone easily knew who the best fighters were (Georg, Richard, Belcoot, Zerase, Prince, Lyon). You didn't really have to try out lots of characters and invest in training them to find out if they were any good.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

it was definitely intentional-- the A+ skills require a lot more SP than other skills ("Slow" requires 1410 total SP to reach A+... "Genius" requires 1130 SP to get to S, "Excellent" requires 670 SP to get A)

the opposite is also true - there are a few skills character easily can learn but instead of reaching A or S, they stop at B+ ("Fast" learners only need 435 SP to reach B+ vs the normal "Good" B+ needing 549 SP).... so they learn/train easily but simply don't have a high potential. Ace's Swing skill is one of these Fast learner skills.
weird_name_lah

Post by weird_name_lah »

Oh.. No wonder though I didn't calculate it really indeed seem to take a lot more skill points for them. It was such a fresh discovery for me since I just resumed my last save 3 years ago when I played Sui III. Haha. It's good that it was intentional I suppose. Great thinking by whoever designed it that way... Me thinks future Suikodens can have a replay of something of this sort.
Magus Eternal

Post by Magus Eternal »

I noticed Kosanji also has an A+ with Earth Magic, but I have seen no one ever mention it when they talk about the A+ skills.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Those dogs can not be trusted to do anything, just give them water runes instead.
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Just for fun since we've already played the game multiple times. Feed the dogs some stats stones , since they're beast type, their ATK value will be greatly increased with Str stone (1 stone=2.5 ATK)